Wilton Purple....ugh!

Decorating By Danielle1218 Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 5:59am by GenGen

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 9

does anyone know how to keep wilton purple from getting aqua spots in it? it seems like everytime i make it, it does that and i hate the way it looks. can anyone help?

8 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 9

I don't use wilton color for anything. Americolor is very good...concentrated and I have never seen spots. I think there are a couple other good brands there...but to me, Wilton is at the bottom of the list.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 9

Use Americolor violet. Makes a great purple.
If you have to use Wilton, you might try making your own purple with a red and blue mix. Maybe you wouldn't have the aqua spots then.

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 9

Try mixing it yourself, use red and blue to make the shade you want instead of the premade purple coloring.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 9

purple is tough to get right, i would mix blue and rose pink or hot pink, i very rarely use wilton, they are more expensive ($1.75 for a teeny bottle or 6.99 for a 6 oz. bottle) and less concentrated compared to some of the other brands.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 9

The spotting can happen in blue and pink but they are usually white spots on those.

There are many different thoughts to the cause...

Not desolving your salt all the way.

Lumps in the Crisco/powders sugar.

Or in my opinion, it is minerals/chemicals in your water, which is why not everyone gets it. I can have a class of 6 people with purple icing and not all of them will have the blue spots in it. I can also make purple at home with no spots, and make it at the store and get spots. Using bottle watered or another liquid in it can help.

The good news is that once the icing spots, that is it. It doesn't keep respotting. So make it a little while ahead of time and once it spots give it a good stir to mix it all up and off you go. icon_smile.gif

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:35am
post #7 of 9

My color chart says that when using a purple shade to color buttercream, you must use milk as your liquid in order to prevent it from fading to a blue shade once crusted.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:44am
post #8 of 9

Here is this too:

Sometimes lemon juice or cream of tartar will cause colors to change, i.
e. violet will become blue. If the recipe has one of these ingredients in it,
omit it. In addition, some water (from various geographical areas) tends
to cause color changes. If buttercream icing is made with water, use milk
instead.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:59am
post #9 of 9

i've had the shade Pink fade in light and i've heard purple or lavender does it too. i've never had the problem when using the shade red to create pink though. if your using the shade Purple itself it may be better to blend it with red and blue. hope this isn't a repeat and may lend some help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%