Oh Boy Am I A Sucker For A Bride That Seems To Be Jinxed!!!

Decorating By thatslifeca Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm by sweettreat101

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:03am
post #1 of 30

Ok here is the story. A friend of mines daughter is getting married, on Friday July 23, 2010. Yeah you see the date right.

I swear this bride is jinxed. It all started with her wedding dress, it was ordered wrong, so she dealt with that. Two weeks ago it seems that her florist closed up shop and couldn't be found, so she ordered her flowers last minute from the flower department in a local grocier store because it was so last minute.

Yesterday her mother calls me and guess what......the girl that was doing her wedding cake has apperantly backed out (I believe they found her on kijji which is like craigs list in the USA).

She was quoted $200 for 12',10',8',6', and I think what happened was that the girl realized there is no way to make that much cake for only $200 bucks and ran.

SO I asked her why they didn't come to me in the first place? Response was that since we were invited to the wedding, they didn't want me to feel as though they were asking for the cake as a gift, and didn't want to put me out.

OK, so now they want a cake, they call a few places and everyone says "sorry no cake" to last minute. I'm looking at the clock and it reads 8pm Thursday evening.......Can I pull it off. Do I have enough supplies to do this cake? I tell her leave it with me, and I'll deliver a cake...and I will do it for the quoted price of $200. Boy am I sucker for a bride.

Now here is a pic of what I came up with. Thanks to CC, I made MMF for the first time, and I hate fondant LOL. Found some white roses, and blue ribbon. The brides flowers are roses, and girls are wearing colbot blue. It's now 1:30 am where I am, and I sure hope she likes it, cause it's what's she's getting.
LL
LL

29 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:26am
post #2 of 30

well, you gave them a cake! Kudos to you! she's going to love whatever you give her at this point icon_lol.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:45am
post #3 of 30

This is a lovely cake for such short time notice. Well done...

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:13am
post #4 of 30

Wow, what a lucky girl to have you pull off this lovely cake in such a short notice.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:31am
post #5 of 30

You did this in 5.5 hours??? Wow!!!!

They should be on the hands and knees kissing your feet!

Amberly10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberly10 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:53am
post #6 of 30

Great job!! I can't believe you did that in such a short amount of time, you ROCK!!

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 30

Its beautiful I am sure she will love it and be extremely appreciative!

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 30

It's beautiful!! She is going to love it, and be forever grateful. Poor girl, I can't imagine all those things happening....it would really make me wonder, LOL!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 30

Great last minute job on the cake and your signature line about insanity really fits in this case!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 30

Wow...great job!! I am sure she will be more than grateful for you kindness!!! I would have had a stroke!! lol

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 30

Okay, you get my vote for cake goddess of the week!!! What a great friend you are, and what a great cake decorator you are! Fantastic job for such a short time frame! Now go to bed!

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 30

The cake is beautiful! short notice, and only $200 , wow.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 30

They owe you and they owe you BIG! You better get Christmas AND Easter presents from them from now until doomsday for saving their butt with an awesome cake like that.

And I'll bet it's a nice feeling to know, "Whew! Whadda ya know! I *CAN* do it!" NOt that you want to do a cake like this at such short notice, but look what you've shown yourself that you CAN do!! thumbs_up.gif

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 30

excellent job and under such time constraints, heck i'd even give you thanksgiving gifts too for the rest of your life for thaticon_smile.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 30

Great job! thumbs_up.gif

At this point I'm willing to bet the bride would have been happy with a box mix and canned icing in a disposable aluminum pan. The poor girl!! If she doesn't shed tears of joy at seeing that cake today, well, then there'd be something really wrong with her.

Please let us know her reaction! icon_biggrin.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 30

Wow I like it, I'm sure the bride will be very grateful to you!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #17 of 30

Fantastic cake, and friend! So glad it all worked out!

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #18 of 30

icon_eek.gif AMAZING!!!! YOU ROCK! all I can do in 5 hours is fill stack,crumb coat and ice 3 tiers!!! icon_redface.gif
You should be VERY proud of yourself! thumbs_up.gif
- h

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #19 of 30

Wonderful job and on such short notice! I'm sure that she will love it. I had a friend who had a similar string of "misfortunes" on her way to the altar....but the people who "came to her rescue" are forever gratefully remembered.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #20 of 30

Wow! You did an amazing job on such SHORT notice! I hope they realize how big of a favor you really did for them.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #21 of 30

You did a great job! Even on a short notice!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #22 of 30

They should name their first-born after you.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

They should name their first-born after you.

I second that thumbs_up.gif You are an angel! Lovely cake!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:48am
post #24 of 30

gorgeous cake !! they are going to love it !!

katiemarie718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiemarie718 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #25 of 30

that is beautiful!!!! they were very lucky to have a friend like you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #26 of 30

You sure must have hussled!! And if there is even ONE unkind remark someone will be in the hospital faster than you can say "What did you say?:" icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 7:53am
post #27 of 30

I AM impressed thumbs_up.gif The cake is lovely and I bet it tasted wonderful as well. I hope that she realizes just how lucky she is.

kat105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kat105 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #28 of 30

Great job,you should be very proud of yourself!Do you mind sharing?How high are your tiers,are they 1 layer & torted or 2 layers of cake each?Thanks for any help.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm
post #29 of 30

what an incredible job you have done! Beautiful cake and you have certainly saved her day. Update us on how it went, I am sure she and her family appreciated it more than they can say. You are a wonderful person!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #30 of 30

Great job! I had similar issues on my wedding day. The lady doing the flower arrangements locked herself out of her car, we ran out of table cloths so my mother ran to Kmart and purchased multi striped table cloths I about cried. Luckily my husbands family went and found matching table cloths for us. Next our toasting glasses were broken when we opened the box so a family member had to run to the mall and beg to have new glasses made. Then I got locked out of the house and couldn't get ready. Had to sit and wait for my mother to get home. UGH! Didn't even get to take a shower and I was all sweaty from setting up the hall. Meanwhile my hubby to be was sitting in the sun lounging by the pool drinking beer. Last but not least the lady that made our cake was upset because she had just found out her brother had died that morning and accidentally smashed one side of the cake. We told her not to worry that we would turn the smashed side to the wall and nobody would ever know. It's been 20 years but maybe that was a sign. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%