Spinning Rotor On Helicopter Cake

Decorating By Samsgranny Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 1:50am by tesso

Samsgranny Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 7

Thanks to all the new cake shows on tv, my 7 year old grandson wants a helicopter cake and the rotor is supposed to spin. Now I am not mechanically inclined nor is my spouse of 30 years. Any suggestions where I might start? Have you seen anything on UTube? I've tried Googling but no luck with anythiing even close.

I"d appreciate a response if you have some information, luckily the birthday is not until October.

In the mean time I have to get started on a Princess and the Frog cake for his 6 year old sister due next Sunday, I'll post pictures!

Best,
Theresa

6 replies
tesso Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 7

Hmmm.. you need to hunt down Doug!! He would probably have a schematic for you !! icon_lol.gif bless him, and his designs!!

Doug Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 7

good zzzzzzzzzzz oh morning......

hunt me down -- more like wake me up.

ok, first thing you need is a small motor that has a way to control the rate of spin.

easiest place to get these: cannibalize an old radio controlled car toy. all you need is the motor (usually on back wheels), the control board and the remote control device)

alternate method: buy a small motor (Radio Shack or http://scientificsonline.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_421187 ) and hook it to a dimmer switch. be sure motor can be powered by batteries.

If you have an electronically minded friend who knows how to build circuits, they could create one that would replace the dimmer switch and give a fixed speed to the motor.

best way to mount -- well that depends.

best would be to put if fully under cake and use a hollow tube with a drive shaft inside. That requires bottom of helicopter to be in contact with the board.

next best is to hollow a cavity in the top big enough to hold the motor -- but even then then you will have to run the wires through the cake, again a small tube which now can be flexible and made to look like part of the landing gear. Wires would go to control module and power supply under the board.

the blades will attach to shaft of motor -- this is a friction fit so the hole in the blades must be tight enough to grab onto the shaft.

Samsgranny Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Doug,
Thanks so much for your explanation, I am printing out your email and taking it to my local hobby shop. I'm sure they will be able to take your instructions and provide me what I need to create this magic.

I will be sure to post pictures. Thanks again!

Theresa

cheatize Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 7

Does it have to be motorized? I'd take a look at the pinwheel toys and use a dowel and balsa wood (for the wings). The hobby store might already sells the wings premade.

Samsgranny Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your note, yes that is plan B. I just would like to see the look on his face when I hand him the remote control and he flips the switch!

Best,
Theresa

tesso Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:50am
post #7 of 7

see.. I told you, you needed Doug!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%