Gumpaste Shoe On Verge Of Breaking..cake Due Tomorrow! Help!

Decorating By babyblue113 Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm by heroes

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #1 of 9

I have been drying my gumpaste shoes for almost a week now and just today I start to remove the sole from its platform and now its about to break, not stable.....I then tried to see if the extra sole that I made was dried and that too has a crack. I don't know what to do. Can someone give me any suggestions to improvise? I''m sooo nervous. Please help.

8 replies
Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:08am
post #2 of 9

Can't you use the template to cut out an 'innier sole' ? and use this to cover the base of the shoe...use a stitching wheel to make it look likem it is stitches around the edge and ment to be there, then patch the crack on the underside with some of the paste yo used, but softened to fill the crack

babyblue113 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #3 of 9

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Your tips helped, I was able to save one shoe, the other one broke in half. But its okay, at least I had one that survived. THANKS!!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:41am
post #4 of 9

I had a shoe break and used Royal Icing to "glue" it back together. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

babyblue113 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #5 of 9

Thanks Babs1964!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:06am
post #6 of 9

You can use superglue too, in a real pinch!

babyblue113 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:20am
post #7 of 9

What is superglue?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:55am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue113

What is superglue?

It's inedible and toxic if you do try to eat it (I believe). It's a really strong house glue used for many things, such as repairing broken ceramics. icon_wink.gif It dries clear.

If you let it get on your fingers, you'll need nail polish remover to get it off your skin safely.

Good luck with the shoe!!

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 9

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, I made this gorgeous shoe out of gumpaste, I let it set for a few weeks, come the day I take it out of the box to place on the cake it broke in three places, I was devastated as it was the first one I had made and I needed it for that day, however a little quick thinking and a few teares later I turned my shoe into a sandal and placed the heel on the cake next to it, my sister thought it was supposed to be like that, I replaced the shoe box label with writing THE BROKEN HEEL instead. It still looked fab icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%