Caramel Buttercream - Spread Like Regular?

Decorating By jewelamber8 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 9:24am by zespri

jewelamber8 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 17

I made caramel buttercream tonight, but the problem is my cake is coming apart with every little stroke I make. I've given it a crum coat and am hoping that helps. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck decorating with this stuff. Does it hold up like regular buttercream on a cake?? Please help. It just looks so runny!

16 replies
Bskinne Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 17

Last time I tried to make caramel buttercream, it turned out super grainy, so if someone knows a really good, tested, creamy caramel recipe, I would like to know it too....

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Last time I tried to make caramel buttercream, it turned out super grainy, so if someone knows a really good, tested, creamy caramel recipe, I would like to know it too....




I haven't tried it yet...but I had an idea to use the caramel chips...kraft makes them I believe and they are in the same aisle as the chocolate chips. I thought maybe they could be melted and added to the buttercreamm like I do with chocolate. Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to this weekend and I'll post my results.

adamsmom Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 17

I actually just made a batch of Caramel Buttercream for my Caramel Apple cupcakes. What I ended up doing was I made the Buttercream Dream recipe and I only added 5 tbsp of milk to the mixture and then added 1 1/2 tbsp of caramel syrup (the kind you add to drinks such as coffee). It tastes delicious! My worry with adding the kraft caramel was it would clump up. Mamawrobin, let me know if you try this. Nonetheless, give the syrup a try, it tastes fantastic! Good luck!

Bskinne Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #5 of 17

I was worried about the clumping too. But I want to try with the caramel chips and with the sauce. Sounds yummy!

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

I actually just made a batch of Caramel Buttercream for my Caramel Apple cupcakes. What I ended up doing was I made the Buttercream Dream recipe and I only added 5 tbsp of milk to the mixture and then added 1 1/2 tbsp of caramel syrup (the kind you add to drinks such as coffee). It tastes delicious! My worry with adding the kraft caramel was it would clump up. Mamawrobin, let me know if you try this. Nonetheless, give the syrup a try, it tastes fantastic! Good luck!




I bought the caramel chips today and I'm going to experiment with it in a day or two. I'm also worried about the clumping so I thought I might melt the caramel chips with a tiny bit of milk and see if that will prevent that from happening. I'll be sure to post the results in this thread so be watching. thumbs_up.gif

Bskinne Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

I actually just made a batch of Caramel Buttercream for my Caramel Apple cupcakes. What I ended up doing was I made the Buttercream Dream recipe and I only added 5 tbsp of milk to the mixture and then added 1 1/2 tbsp of caramel syrup (the kind you add to drinks such as coffee). It tastes delicious! My worry with adding the kraft caramel was it would clump up. Mamawrobin, let me know if you try this. Nonetheless, give the syrup a try, it tastes fantastic! Good luck!



I bought the caramel chips today and I'm going to experiment with it in a day or two. I'm also worried about the clumping so I thought I might melt the caramel chips with a tiny bit of milk and see if that will prevent that from happening. I'll be sure to post the results in this thread so be watching. thumbs_up.gif




Did you try the chips? I'm debating which way to try for a cake this weekend....

zespri Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 17

The only experience I've had with caramel icing was on our caramel wedding cake, made for us by a family friend. I guess it's not buttercream, but if you're interested, here is her recipe:

Icing - put in saucepan 4 tblsps brown sugar, 1 tblsp milk, 2 tblsps butter.
Boil 2 mins & add icing sugar to right consistency.

The other idea might be boilding some condensed milk until it turns to caramel, then using it as a substitute for whatever liquid you usually use in your buttercream.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 17

What about making a ganache out of the caramel chips and fold that into your butter cream. I would use cream not milk. The chocolate butter cream recipe I use has ganache in it so caramel ganache should work.

metria Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

What about making a ganache out of the caramel chips and fold that into your butter cream. I would use cream not milk. The chocolate butter cream recipe I use has ganache in it so caramel ganache should work.




I did this once and it worked well. If you want to skip caramel all together, you can use condensed milk instead. It's got a similar taste and you won't accidentally get little bits of unmixed caramel.

Bskinne Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 17

Ok, so I made some tonight, ended up making my regular buttercream and adding a small jar of caramel ice cream sauce. It's great, smooth, and easy to spread! Yippee! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Ok, so I made some tonight, ended up making my regular buttercream and adding a small jar of caramel ice cream sauce. It's great, smooth, and easy to spread! Yippee! icon_smile.gif




No I haven't tried it yet. Still have the package of caramel chips though...Maybe I'll try this weekend.


Does your icing crust with the ice cream sauce?

Bskinne Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 17

I just made it, but I don't think it will crust. (It's just a filling, I was going to frost w/regular buttercream....) icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:47pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

I just made it, but I don't think it will crust. (It's just a filling, I was going to frost w/regular buttercream....) icon_smile.gif




Thanks for answering so quickly thumbs_up.gif I'm wanting one that will crust. That is why I'm going to try the chips. I know that I use Indydebi's bc to make cream cheese icing and chocolate icing and they both crust really well...SO...if I can get a caramel icing to crust I'll have one more in the recipe box that I can use. I CANNOT smooth non crusting bc for crap...lol...I know Leah said she was "ready to jump off a bridge" trying to smooth Indydebi's bc...well...I'm the same way about non-crusting bc's. icon_lol.gif
I can smooth ganache just fine with a hot knife but buttercream gives me fits.

Bskinne Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 17

LOL, that's why I believe in fondant. To cover up my hot mess of an icing job. icon_smile.gif All the Viva in the world don't help me.

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:55am
post #16 of 17

The recipe I posted definitely crusts, looking at our wedding photos it looked pretty good, and I remember it being yummy.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I'm wanting one that will crust. That is why I'm going to try the chips.


zespri Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:24am
post #17 of 17

I tried some caramel buttercream last night on cupcakes, and it worked beautifully. It was subtle flavoured, pale in colour (I used home-made dulce de luche for the flavour), and it crusted beautifully. I've submitted the recipe to 'recipes', it hasn't come up yet, but I called it 'crusting caramel buttercream icing' if anyone wants to search for it later. yum yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%