Would You Make Choc Ganache With Milk Choc???

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 10:00am by Melnick

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 8

I know a lot of recipes call for semi-sweet chocolate. Does it work with milk chocolate too?? I wonder if milk chocolate is 'softer' than semi-sweet, and thus the ratios would be off.

TIA!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure about the ratio but to me a ganache is a richer, more "elegant" chocolate concoction so it should be made from a chocolate with the same description. Milk chocolate .... in just my personal opinion ...... is an everyday taste and not that extra special "OMG this is so good!" type of chocolate.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 8

Yes the ratio is different if using milk chocolate. You use the same ratio as when using white chocolate.

I agree with Indydebi. If you're going to use milk chocolate you may as well make chocolate buttercream.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 8

TY!
I will just go ahead and use semi-sweet chocolate as originally planned. I picked up Milk chocolate by mistake, and thought I shouldn't waste it. I'll just use what I bought for something else and just re-buy what I need in semi-sweet chocolate.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:39am
post #5 of 8

Personally I don't like dark chocolate at all, so I always use milk chocolate, and it's yummy!

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:46am
post #6 of 8

You can always use a mixture of both, it offers both richness and sweetness. YUM

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:53am
post #7 of 8

For the helmet in my avatar pic, I used a giant Symphony milk chocolate bar (read that tip here) + 1/4 cup of cream...worked great, very easy to smooth, and tasted amazing.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:00am
post #8 of 8

I always use milk chocolate - I find dark chocolate too rich. I don't know if the choc composition is different over there, but here you stick with a 2:1 ratio for milk chocolate (that's what Planet Cake says too). White chocolate is a 3:1 ratio. I have tried it with the 3:1 ratio but it sets too hard. 2:1 is perfect! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%