Caramel Icing

Baking By makupwmn Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm by mamawrobin

makupwmn Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking for a creamy caramel icing/filling. The old fashioned crusts, and I really want almost a butter cream consistency. Any ideas?

7 replies
Echooo3 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 8

Funny you should asked this question. I just got a request today for a caramel icing and I don't have one in my recipe collection.

tesso Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 8

I am currently experimenting with caramel fondant. heheh.. icon_twisted.gif will have to give the bc a try too!!

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:56am
post #4 of 8

Here's an idea...I've noticed that Kraft is now packaging caramel pieces...in the aisle with the chocolate chips in the same kind of bag. What about adding about 1 cup of the melted caramel pieces to regular buttercream? I would imagine that it would require adding a little more milk to the buttercream but I'm thinking it may work. I may give it a try tomorrow and see.

If you do try this I'd add only about a teaspoon of milk to the icing at a time to be careful not to add too much liquid.

cr8zchpr Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:17am
post #5 of 8

I make a caramel SMBC. Ghirardelli makes a creamy carmel sauce that I add to the icing once I have added all the butter. I does tint the icing a bit but it is yummy!!!!

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zchpr

I make a caramel SMBC. Ghirardelli makes a creamy carmel sauce that I add to the icing once I have added all the butter. I does tint the icing a bit but it is yummy!!!!

Mmmmm. I've got to look for that. Thanks for the info. thumbs_up.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

I did it once with just the carmel topping for icecream (not the crusting kind) it was good, but I had to add alot. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellescountrycakes

I did it once with just the carmel topping for icecream (not the crusting kind) it was good, but I had to add alot. icon_smile.gif

If you used a crusting buttercream...did it still crust? I'm wanting to add caramel but still have an icing that will crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%