How Do I Make Clean Crisp Lid For A Tiffany Box Cake?

Decorating By Jbouren1010 Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 12:18am by Jbouren1010

Jbouren1010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jbouren1010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! I have to make a Tiffany Box cake for this weekend. How in the heck do I make a lid for the top!? I have atatched a picture of the cake. I hope someone can help me! icon_smile.gif Thanks icon_biggrin.gif
LL

5 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 6

It looks like they just laid a piece of fondant over the cake and trimmed all the way around. I just use scissors and cut the desired length then I take a ruler and gently press under the edge of the fondant to make a smooth line. If you can find a square box in the correct size you can place the fondant over the top trim and let dry but then the lid would be hard. Either way would work.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 6

If you want it perfectly square you can mold the fondant over the outside of the square cake pan you are using to bake the cake. It should fit right over the cake if your fondant on your cake is not too thick. I hope this makes sense.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 6

Cut a piece of fondant for the top of the cake and also some side panels. Let them dry for a couple of days...add tylose to fondant or use gumpaste. Trim the pieces according to the size of the cake. I use melted chocolate to adhere the pieces and have filled the gaps with either royal icing or with shortening...works very well. I learned this from sugarshacks video "boxes and bows".

Here is a finished cake using those techniques:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1385442

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 6

I did one in my pix, but I used gumpaste for it. You may want to invest in Sugarshack's Boxes and Bows DVD -- she has many different kinds of box cakes.

Jbouren1010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jbouren1010 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for the tips!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%