Attaching Flowers To Fondant...need Quick Help Please!

Decorating By catlharper Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm by mamawrobin

catlharper Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I have a fondant covered wedding cake that has gum paste plumeria flowers cascading down it this weekend. These are cone shaped flowers and not flat on the bottom so I figured I'd use a shaper and make an indention in the cake where I wanted a flower, fill with RI and stick the flower on. BUT then I just read that RI will eat away at the fondant. Should I use BC instead? Any tips?

Please please please give me a definite answer? I've always used BC before but the flowers have always been on wires or have been flat on the bottom.

Thanx!
Cat

6 replies
misabel99 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

What about attach them with chocolate?

Dayti Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 7

I don't think RI should eat away the fondant. Where'd you read that?

catlharper Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 7

Chocolate is not an option here, unfortunately, since I need to be able to reattach flowers at the venue...no way to reheat the chocolate there. So I need a way that's strong but also I can carry with me to the venue which is 150 miles away.

I will go with whatever way you guys can tell me to go..BC or RI...just need to know which one will work...which one HAS worked for you.

Cat

Dayti Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 7

I used RI to attach the flowers on the cake in my profile pic. I did the same as you are thinking since they had pointy backs, I indented with a small ball tool, added a dab of RI, and held the flower in place with a finger til I was sure it wasn't going to fall off. I have never tried doing the same with BC, because I don't think it would dry rock hard like RI.
The RI should hold for you, either in a disposable icing bag or a container and you fill the bag when you get there. If its going to be hot you should probably put it in a cooler in the car.

Dayti Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

Sorry I meant put the bag of RI in the cooler (not the cake) icon_rolleyes.gif

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 7

I have made my own syrup using 1 cup of sugar to 1/2 hot water for applying larger flowers to fondant. I never have any royal icing made. Don't use it very often at all. It may work better for what you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%