Cake Help! Need Help Executing.

Decorating By hwt70 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm by hwt70

hwt70 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 3

I'm fairly new to cake making, but I absolutely love it and I'm getting better with every cake. I have a co-worker leaving and I want to make a great cake to bid farewell. Since we work at a lumber yard, I want to make a cake that looks like a unit of lumber.

Any ideas on how to execute this?

2 replies
catlharper Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 3

I would build up a 4x8 inch cake (depending on how many you need to feed) then using a tan fondant I would cover it and score out lines on the fondant with a ruler (just press it into the fondant gently) will need to make a grid on each end like that. Then using gell color and vodka I'd make a watery paint to make it look like wood (this is something I do a lot and it's not that hard)...just paint in one direction like back and forth. I'd touch the paintbrush on the ends (in the little squares you made with the ruler) to make the wood look like it was different pieces like the end of the ones in the photo. Then I'd handpaint a "stamp" on it to match the one in the photo. Lastly I'd make fondant "straps" and secure those to the brick of "wood". This would be cute!

hwt70 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 3

That sounds great. I'm not the best with fondant yet, but I think it's a must for this particular cake.

THanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%