Help! I Need Some Thoughts On Names For My Cake Business! :)

Business By atownsend Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm by online_annie

atownsend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atownsend Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 22

I am trying to build a website for make cakes, but I need to think of a definite name so I can build a logo. I may spread into other sweets (I make lots of pies, cookies, etc.) as well, so it doesn't necessarily have to have to word cake in the title. Names that have been suggested to me by family members are:

Zebra Cakes (My hubby likes this because so many people request my zebra print cakes, but I think it would remind everybody of the little snack cakes at Wal-Mart! Lol. Thoughts?)

The Sweet Life

I like:

Dulce or Dulce Cakes (Dulce of course means sweet, and I could make a signature Dulce de Leche filling.)

Thanks so much for your help! I am up for anything really, so let me know if you have suggestions of your own as well as your ideas on these names!

I live in Oklahoma, but we are actually classier than many people give us credit for, so I would like to be able to build a great logo from the name. Thanks again!

Ashele

21 replies
atownsend Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 22

Thank you for your votes everyone! I am really excited about this and it is a huge deal to me, so I cannot tell you how much I appreciate ANY input, I want the GOOD AND THE BAD!!! icon_smile.gif You are all wonderful, I am so glad I found this site!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 22

I would vote for The Sweet Life, but if I were you, I'd do some serious searching and find out if it's already taken, trademarked, etc. Spending a few minutes on Google will help you out there.

icon_smile.gif

Either way, good luck on naming your business!!!!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 22

Isn't the Sweet Life the name of Norm Davis' shop?

emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMeister

Isn't the Sweet Life the name of Norm Davis' shop?

He really needs some work on his site...it has Geocities, circa 1999 written all over it (not literally). icon_smile.gif

http://www.thesweetlife.com/frames.htm

But yes, that is the name of Norm Davis's shop.

atownsend Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 22

I don't know who Norm Davis is, but thank you CookieMeister!!! I'll definitely have to check on that then. icon_smile.gif

atownsend Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks guys! EmrldSky check out sweetlifecakes.net , one of their main photos looks similar to your cake! Gorgeous! So can I not have that name or a variation of it?

CookieMeister Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by atownsend

I don't know who Norm Davis is, but thank you CookieMeister!!! I'll definitely have to check on that then. icon_smile.gif

He's on FoodNetwork Challenge quite a bit. Wonderful work. But LOL at emrldsky. I would expect someone of his caliber to have a better website!

emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:

Thanks guys! EmrldSky check out sweetlifecakes.net , one of their main photos looks similar to your cake! Gorgeous! So can I not have that name or a variation of it?

I would bet that Norm has trademark for it. However, see if your state government Web site has a trademark search and find out if anyone else in your state has trademarked your name. If so, you can't use it, or any variation that could cause confusion between the two shops.

With trademark law it's about intent and confusion within the same industry. For example, the owners of the CakeBoss software recently won an injunction against TLC for the use of Cake Boss for Buddy Valastro's show. It was obvious Discovery (owner of TLC) did not even search online to see if the name was taken, and it has been proven that the two entities are confusing to people.

If you have any doubts or questions, you might want to think about consulting a lawyer.

I was fortunate...there are NO instances of my biz name anywhere.

And blossom cakes with ribbon are very popular. icon_smile.gif I like my rendition, but it's hardly unique, and I'm OK with that. icon_biggrin.gif

CookieMeister Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 22

Oh, and I hate to keep saying things like this, but I imagine Zebra Cakes has been trademarked (which is too bad because I like it). That's the name of the Little Debbie snack cakes that are white with black stripes.

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 22

What about Dulce Desserts?

I'm going through the same process right now, but I haven't come up with anything I love yet. It's tough, isn't it? Good luck!

orchid001982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchid001982 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:

I took two of Norm's classes on the Cake Cruise to Mexico this past December. He's an amazing teacher (and really nice person on top of it)!! I made the most beautiful gumpaste flowers in his class. And yes he's been on numerous shows on Food Network and TLC.

orchid001982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchid001982 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 22

How about Dulce Vita? That's Sweet Life in Italian; it combines both icon_smile.gif

atownsend Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:30pm
post #14 of 22

Ok so I definitely have quite a bit to think about and research! And I didn't like Zebra Cakes only for that reason, the Little Debbie cakes cheapen it a little. You have all been extremely helpful! And emrldsky I DID NOT mean to say anything negative about your cake just in case you took it that way. I LOVE YOUR CAKE! And it doesn't have to be super-original to be beautiful and awesome, zebra cakes sure aren't, but I love them nonetheless! icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:

Ok so I definitely have quite a bit to think about and research! And I didn't like Zebra Cakes only for that reason, the Little Debbie cakes cheapen it a little. You have all been extremely helpful! And emrldsky I DID NOT mean to say anything negative about your cake just in case you took it that way. I LOVE YOUR CAKE! And it doesn't have to be super-original to be beautiful and awesome, zebra cakes sure aren't, but I love them nonetheless! icon_smile.gif

Not at all! I just didn't want you thinking someone took my idea, that's all. icon_smile.gif

CookieMeister Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid001982

How about Dulce Vita? That's Sweet Life in Italian; it combines both icon_smile.gif

I like that.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid001982

I like that.

And it would probably stand up better over time than Zebra Cakes (which may fall out of fashion at some point).

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #18 of 22

I'd love to use Dulce Vita if I hadn't already just picked my business name of Bright Delights!

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #19 of 22

BrightDelights - where are you located? I'm in Dublin.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #20 of 22

Just for balance.........I've never heard of Zebra cakes.... or tasted them. So it's hard to say if your clients will be familar with it either.

I like Zebra Cakes because I'm over saturated with cute sweet/food names. It's getting hard for me to remember bakery and blog names because they all flow together. I like a name that's different, that makes me want to explore a place. I want different product too that I can't buy everywhere.

I love the name "fat witch brownies" and similar.......they set themselves apart.

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoxx9

BrightDelights - where are you located? I'm in Dublin.

I'm in Delaware!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #22 of 22

Dulce Desserts is a Bakery in Nashville, TN

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%