What Challenge Do You Want To See?

Lounge By Writecakes Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm by RubiPumps

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 19

I enjoy watching cake challenges but am getting tired of the same format.

I'd like to see a challenge where competitors cannot use any fondant at all. Buttercream and Royal only.

I'd like to see a challenge where spouses have to work together (as long as one of them doesn't have any decorating experience)

And ultimately, I'd like to see a reality show where cake decorators live together and compete in various challenges. Like Real World meets Survivor, but about cake. icon_lol.gif

What would you like to see?

18 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 19

Top Chef's is coming up with a Dessert version called Just Desserts. It isn't cakes, but it is a step closer.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 19

Wow TS I did not know that. Gotta check that one out. It should be fun to watch.

Writecakes, I'm with you. I also, hate the time constraints. It is just insane and then they get bashed for things not being perfect yet they aren't given enough time to make it perfect if something goes awry, and something ALWAYS goes awry.

I like your last suggestion. That would be so cool. Heck I would love to participate in that kind of scenario! Big brother meets Cake Challenge icon_smile.gif

RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 19

I agree that the challenges are becoming "same ole, same ole". I really like on Cupcake Wars how they have to come up with flavors on the fly and that the baking is done there. The cake challenges they are bringing cakes. Why not have a weekend cake challenge where they are given ingredients and guidelines and one day is spent baking and torting and filling and crumb coating and the next day is design and decorating?

I LOVE the cake meets Survivor aspect.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 19

I would also like to see an all BC competition. I've heard that it would be difficult because of all of the heat the studio light generate, but here's my solution to that:

Build a big plexiglass enclosed kitchen area that is SUPER air conditioned. All the lights and cameras are on the outside. Yeah, some of the heat might be conducted thru the glass but that's why there's a separate and SUPER air conditioner running! (Besides .... if they use the "right" icing, it shouldn't be a problem! icon_rolleyes.gif )

I've noticed on "Hell's Kitchen" that there appears to be a plexiglass between the kitchen and the guests (I can see it in some shots, but not in others .. weird!).

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writecakes

I'd like to see a challenge where competitors cannot use any fondant at all. Buttercream and Royal only.

Me too! And, I'd like to see a challenge that was more about speed, like how many of this or that could be completed within a certain timeframe rather than can you finish your one project within 8 hrs!

One of the challenges that really bothered me was during a mini challenge; they had 15 minutes to complete seven different borders on a pre-made seven-tier cake. One of the ladies said "Ordinarily, it would take me at least 30 minutes to make the borders on a cake this size." For real? I thought it was hilarious! Did she not realize that the borders would be progressively smaller on each tier while moving towards the top, thereby needing less time to complete? If she made as many cakes as she claimed, there's no way she can spend that much time on a few borders! I thought a minute or two was more than enough time to complete the task, and even if it took them 7 minutes to do, they would have had another 7-8 minutes to stand around and do nothing or add more to it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've noticed on "Hell's Kitchen" that there appears to be a plexiglass between the kitchen and the guests (I can see it in some shots, but not in others .. weird!).

Maybe that is to keep the guest from hearing him yell all the time?

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Maybe that is to keep the guest from hearing him yell all the time?

Heck...Ramsey yells at the GUESTS sometimes!

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 19

What about the challenger from SC that said she specialized in marbelized fondant??? Whatever. icon_cool.gif I like the weekend challenge idea and maybe they could do a 2 hour special on that if they decided to do that. I think they need to quit choosing the same people over and over again for these things. Even on Cupcake Wars there have been some repeat competitors. Maybe do a rookie challenge.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 19

I think they need to come to a place like here on CC and find out what is going on in the real, everyday cake world, and get our opinions, not the opinions of a select few "higher" bakers and TV execs!

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 19

i would like to see some armature cake decorators go against each other not the some old people that they always have on there the ones that charge 15 dollars a slice maybe even some here from CC the ones that have not yet made a name for themselves.

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 19

I would love to see a challenge made up of the talent here at CC! That way when I watch, I'll know I'm seeing how it's done right icon_smile.gif

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 19

I woud love to see a challenge on using only a 100% ebible items
including the stucture materials , that would be fun to see what people come up with and I aslo agree it would be nice to see som new faces on the challenges.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 19

I would love to see Kerry Vincent compete and Stevie Trainwreck-Famulari judge. LMAO

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #15 of 19

I want to see a challenge where the competitors are Kerry Vincent, Patrick Coston, Keegan Gerhard, and.....well, whoever else, I guess.

Just for giggles, you know? Reverse field and have the judges compete? It would be great to see what they did.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #16 of 19

I would love to see a Big Brother series involving Cakers....lol It would be great however i dont believe there will be all the drama...i think you all are too sweet. If there was a conflict they could always solve it with an icing war!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #17 of 19

.........would love to see Kerry Vincent compete and Stevie Trainwreck-Famulari judge. ...........

OH I sooooo agree, so agree!

RubiPumps Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm
post #18 of 19

I read an article that all the cakes (except for ones that win for a specific event) are destroyed after the show. Seems like a HUGE waste. Maybe they should do challenge around a charity. Cakes are to be auctioned off at the end.

RubiPumps Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #19 of 19

I read an article that all the cakes (except for ones that win for a specific event) are destroyed after the show. Seems like a HUGE waste. Maybe they should do challenge around a charity. Cakes are to be auctioned off at the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%