Tambourine Cake - Help With Jingles

Decorating By Dayti Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 1:22am by DefyGravity

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
So I am doing a tambourine cake, the tambourine being very similar to the one in the picture. I am having trouble with how I am going to stick the jingles (the little metal disks that make the sounds) around the edge of the cake. I plan on making these out of gumpaste (and removing before serving). I think I am going to make them a crescent shape so the inner edge fits flush with the outside of the 10" cake.
But, what do you think would be the best way to stick them on? I wonder if just regular gum glue...but I would need to support them somehow till the glue dries. If I put toothpicks under them I am going to end up with little holes all the way around the cake in the fondant!

Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance.

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 7

i'd put the toothpicks in them instead of under.

and ---

do the holes really matter once the cake is cut and served?

after all that's when the holes would finally be visible.

don't worry about the holes

worry about getting good pics to put on here!

Dayti Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 7

Man I didn't even think about putting the toothpicks IN the jingle. Thankyou!! And no, I don't care about the holes when its being served, but I didn't want them there while it's on display.
I'll post pics if it turns out any good, and if not it will go in the cake disaster section. I have to travel with the cake (stacked on a 12" round chocolate cake base) for 6 hours in the car, in Spain, this weekend, in 40ºC heat. Will have to jack the AC up and freeze on the journey.
Thanks again Doug.

Dayti Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 7

Better late than never, here is the photo of the cake! It survived the journey just fine, I used SPS to stack it. It was a 12" and 10".

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 7

Wow! Very nice!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:13am
post #6 of 7

Excellent job!!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #7 of 7

WOW looks amazing icon_smile.gif