Keeping Bananas Fresh Looking On Top Of Cuppies?

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm by MariaK38

MariaK38 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! So, my brother posts a picture on facebook of a donut with peanut butter glaze with bacon and bananas on top. It's called the "Elvis" donut. So I have to open my big mouth and say, "OOh, I wonder if I could do that with a cupcake!" Now everyone who's coming to our family BBQ next Saturday wants me to make these! I'll be making a peanut butter cupcake with a maple/peanut butter glaze, with the bacon and bananas on top. Or do you think it would go better with a maple/peanut butter buttercream?
My other question is this... how do I keep the bananas looking fresh, not brown, on top? I plan to put them on at the last possible minute, but they'll be sitting out for quite a while.
Thanks for your help!
Here's a pic of the original donut that got me in trouble...
LL

8 replies
Doug Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 9

easy: brush with acidic juice (like lemon)

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciqv.shtml

Toptier Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 9

Hmm, can you use dried banana chips? Even with the lemon juice I think that only will work short-term, you might want to experiment.

leafO Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 9

Lemon or pineapple juice works well. You could also use ascorbic acid powder. It can be found in the spices aisle, I think the brand name is called fruit fresh.

Doug Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 9

re: maple/peanut butter.

let's see...

maple & bacon -- yep!

peanut butter and most anything -- yep

maple & bananas -- yep!

---
how soon can you send me one? thumbs_up.gif

MariaK38 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 9

thanks, everyone! I will need to experiment next week!
Doug, you have to come to the party to get one of these babies... I don't think my brother would let me put any aside to send out!
icon_biggrin.gif

up for a road trip to Dayton, Ohio?!

Maria

Deehrvy Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 9

This is good to know. Do you think that it would work for strawberries too? Worth a try huh. Thanks.

indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 9

When I sat out chocolate fountains at my caterings, we would treat the slices of bananas to a 7-Up "bath". Swish the sliced bananas in a bowl of 7-Up for about 15-20 seconds, drain, then we'd put them out on the table by the chocolate. They'd last a good 20 minutes or longer without looking blecky. The 7-Up also didn't add any lemon flavor like regular lemon juice would.

Without the 7-Up bath, the slices would only last about 7 minutes.

MariaK38 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 9

thanks! I'm thinking banana chips now! I don't want to be stuck slicing and dunking bananas every 20 minutes when I could be hanging out with my family!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%