How Do I Make This Filling Stay Put?!

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 12

This is the second time I've used raspberry filling in a cake. I just made a WASC cake, dammed it with BC on both the top and bottom of the layer, and put the filling in the center. I don't know what else I could do, but the raspberry just oozed out through the layers. I tried to save it by spreading the ganache to seal it in, but it just made the cake slide around and more oozed out even more filling. The bottom layer ended up cracking and I had to try and take the other top layers off to get rid of that one to try and salvage the others, but it's just a flipping mess. The ganache finally totally covered it, but there was a spot that cracked a little. I covered it again, and it's covered- again, but I think I need to remake the layer because I'm worried that this is so unstable that it won't hold up under the pressure of a stacked cake even though it looks okay. I'm also worried that it won't be pretty when it's cut. What should I do differently though if I remake it? I don't want to remake it only to run into the same problem!

11 replies
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 12

You're putting in way too much filling.

online_annie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 12

Did you thicken up the buttercream used for the dam? I take a portion of my buttercream and mix in an extra or two of Powdered Sugar til it's thick...almost moldable with fingers. Then using a standard coupler ( no slot is best ) I make a dam along the outside of the layer. I let it firm up a bit further and then fill in with the filling. I have never, ever had a leak using this method. Give it a shot!

MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 12

Leah- I don't know how much to put in then, b/c this was just enough to be able to spread evenly over the cake- no excess. Probably less than 1/4" of just slid everywhere. Is that still too much? I just went and found your tile method. I think I'll try that for this go around, but how do I make it stick?! It's thick enough that it really isn't going to soak into the cake- should I cut out the thin layer of buttercream? Would that make it slide? What would you think about damming with whipped ganache instead of buttercream since it's firmer and I'm covering the cake in ganache?

Also- I'm going to have to bake, cool, torte, and cover this cake TONIGHT. That's not my normal time frame. If I wrap the cake in plastic wrap and throw it in the freezer immediately after it comes from the oven to help cool, can I go on with the rest of what I have to do without worrying, or am I just going to have the same problems from the cake not having time to settle?

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 12

I assumed the filling was of the sleeved variety? Is it something else? And yes 1/4" thick is nearly twice too much.

Your cake is telling you what's wrong. If the tiers are sliding apart, there's too much filling. Listen to your cake.

online_annie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 12

leah_s --- I just thought of a new title for you... The Cake Whisperer..... I LIKE IT!!

Bskinne Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 12

Sounds like maybe you could stick a couple of dowels in to prevent the sliding, maybe?

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 12

[quote="online_annie"]leah_s --- I just thought of a new title for you... The Cake Whisperer..... I LIKE IT!![/quote]

ycknits Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 12

I agree with Bskinne - I just had this happen with a 3 layer cake this week. Used raspberry mousse filling on the bottom layer and lime curd on the second layer. There were absolutely no problems with the lime curd, but the rapberry mousse was a disaster! I've used this same combination before and NEVER had this problem! Used the same damming material and method for both layers. I got it dammed up with alot of extra work, but it still wanted to slip all over. I was afraid the top two layers were going to end up on the floor! I weighted it and let it sit overnight, squared it up again, and then pushed a Wilton plastic pillar through it before I covered it with fondant. The lady that I made it for needed to transport it to a party and the pillar insert insured that the layers wouldn't shift. I like this approach better than one or two dowels - which might tear the cake when it tries to slide around :>) Isn't cake decorating a blast????

MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 12

Okay- so I think the plan for tonight will be to dam with whipped ganache, and spread an uber thin layer of raspberry (it's the only filling in the cake...seems so skimpy!). I thought I could fill up to just below the the dam, but I guess that's wrong?It's not from a sleeve- it's actually this one: Delicious and doesn't soak into a cake at all.

online_annie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 12

Are you simply stacking one baked layer on top of the other or... am I misunderstanding your statement ...

QUOTE: (it's the only filling in the cake...seems so skimpy!)

I torte all of my layers so little goes a long way once combined I don't know of anyone who wants to bite into thick goopey layers. All my cake once cut, will have 3 layers of filling if I use 2" pans.

Also... investing SPS Systems will eliminate your worries of stability. HTH

MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 12

Oh, no no-- they're torted. I guess it probably is enough with just a very thin layer. I mean- it is...obviously, or the cake wouldn't squeeze the rest out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%