Wasc Recipes....just Curious.

Decorating By Yum2010 Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm by Yum2010

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 25

Hello all! I was up very late last night baking and trying to prepare and plan for my HELLACIOUS, overbooked schedule next week and I guess out of pure dellirium I started wondering what was the point of a WASC recipe. Before discovering CC, I always used a different "doctored mix" recipe. I recently started using a WASC recipe that I found on CC just to try it out and see what all the hype was about. Don't get me wrong it is very good, but I couldn't help but wonder what is the point of WASC. It really doesn't taste much different than other recipes that I have tried. So to all you WASC users out there do you use this because it tastes better, or more sturdy, more economical?? Just curious...

24 replies
floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 25

From my own perspective, it is the one doctored cake mix recipe that I have found that doesn't TASTE like a box mix. I think a boxed mix cake has a very distinctive taste that I can pick out anywhere. Even some of the variations produce a cake with that same "taste". To me, the WASC is less a doctored mix than a scratch cake which happens to use pre-measured ingredients, and produces a cake that has absolutely no similarity to a box mix cake. I have had people tell me that they can taste the pure, wholesome ingredients in my cakes. That's because there ARE pure, wholesome ingredients which I added to the "pre-measured" ingredients. JMO

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 25

I use it when I need a little more than one cake mix, but not quite two, so I don't have left over cake or batter to figure out what to do with.

Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 25

Floral1210. Yes I do agree. It does taste like a scratch cake without the dryness. My experience with pure scratch cakes, well the ones with out the "pre-measured" ingredients anyway, is that they come out so dry! But, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I just wish WASC had a little more flavor though. I've tried just adding more of the almond and vanilla extracts but it doesn't really help all that much. I wanted to try something called Buttavan? (?spelling?). Does anyone have any experience using this particular flavoring?? is it a little more potent?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 25

I use it for the same reason as Texas Sugar. I usually need more that one mix will yield. I also like the texture and the crumb of the WASC that I use. I've tried several of the WASC recipes and found most of them to be too 'wet' and gummy for my taste. Kakeladi's "original WASC" is my absolute favorite WASC recipe. It uses NO oil and only 1 cup of liquid.

Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 25

Mamawrobin, funny you mentioned the "gumminess". I thought the same thing on a "practice cake" I made a while back. The cake was fine and moist when it was fresh but I did find that after a couple of days it got very gummy and dense. Which is not good because I do make my cakes a couple days early to allow time for settling and decorating. I didn't know if it had anything to do with the type of cake mix I used. I use PB? but was thinking of trying DH. I will check out Kakeladi's recipe.

Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 25

Is it the oil that makes it gummy?? I also was thinking of trying Sugar Shacks WASC variation. I's pretty much the same but it adds instant pudding and omits the flour and sugar. Anyone ever try it??

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum2010

Is it the oil that makes it gummy?? I also was thinking of trying Sugar Shacks WASC variation. I's pretty much the same but it adds instant pudding and omits the flour and sugar. Anyone ever try it??

I think it could be a combination of oil and too much liquid in some of those WASC recipes. SugarShacks recipe is good but like I said I prefer kakeladi's...I never add almond flavoring though...yuck..I HATE almond flavoring icon_lol.gif I just double up on the vanilla. You can also use any flavor of cake mix with her recipe. I prefer DH because of the extra batter. Each box of mix yields about 1-1 1/2 cups more batter than PB or BC.

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 25

My one daughter absolutely loves the WASC. I omit the sugar and never add oil to mine. Basically I use BC cake mix, 1 c flour, 1 cup coffee creamer or heavy cream, eggs, 1 c sour cream or yogurt, and flavorings depending on what kind of cake I want. I never get the gummy texture. I also bake at a lower temp.

Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 25

Thanks everyone!! I will keep experimenting. I just can't find "the perfect cake" you know. All my cusomers alway say the cake was great, but I guess I'm being very picky. I'm a cake snob. I want the perfect crumb, the perfect flavor and I need a sturdy cake.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucrea

My one daughter absolutely loves the WASC. I omit the sugar and never add oil to mine. Basically I use BC cake mix, 1 c flour, 1 cup coffee creamer or heavy cream, eggs, 1 c sour cream or yogurt, and flavorings depending on what kind of cake I want. I never get the gummy texture. I also bake at a lower temp.

I agree with you on the 'lower temp.' I bake everything at 325.

I also use 1/2 milk and 1/2 half & half in place of the water.

I made a cake last week like Indydebi said she uses. Add an extra egg and one package of Dream Whip to the package directions. It was really good.

Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

use it when I need a little more than one cake mix, but not quite two, so I don't have left over cake or batter to figure out what to do with.

I know what you mean!! I usually end up with cupcakes and me and the kids are always picking at them!! Not good for the hips for sure!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum2010

Just to clarify: I use the WASC by Rebecca Sutterby ( I do not change it at all). The other recipe I use that adds the pudding is a different recipe all together. It is a tweaked version of the durable recipe fouind here on CC.

I use one of thosee 2 recipes for all my cakes......

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 25

Yes I've tried the Dream Whip cake. It is good as well. I just always need alot more batter, too. And I like the way WASC recipes stretch, you know, without having to use like a GAZILLION eggs and cake mixes!! Good to know about DH though. I will def try it!!

floral1210 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 25

I use Kakeladi's WASC and love it. The only time I see texture differences is when I use coffee creamer instead of water. It seems to be less dense. Any gumminess I may notice is usually on the cake top, and happens if I wrap it too warm. After freezing, then torting, filling, letting it settle, and icing, it is the most dense, rich tasting cake I have ever tasted without being dry and brick-like.

Yum2010 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 25

When ya'll talk about using coffee creamer, do you mean coffee creamer the ready to use kind that you keep in the fridge or the reconsituted powdered kind. Or does it matter?

floral1210 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #17 of 25

I use the refrigerated ones. There are so many flavors of them, and they are always on sale around here. I probably have 6 of them in the fridge right now, and I never use them in coffee!

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

I use the refrigerated ones. There are so many flavors of them, and they are always on sale around here. I probably have 6 of them in the fridge right now, and I never use them in coffee!

I do use the white chocolate mocha creamer in the White Velvet cake that I make. I think it may be cakemommy's recipe? Not for sure..but it really is a good cake. I'll have to try some of the creamers in my WASC.

floral1210...what are some of your favorite flavors?

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 25

I discovered WASC on this website in search of a good wedding cake recipe. It kept popping up with good reviews, so i tried it out on my son's birthday cake. The bride/groom to be were in attendance and they said "THIS is our wedding cake!" I knew at that moment that is the recipe i'd use for their wedding cake. It's all about pleasing the people and I've found that everyone i've made it for is pleased with it and I like it as well.

I like it because it's sturdy, moist, makes lots of batter and it's versatile and reliable.

floral1210 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #20 of 25

Mamawrobin, I have used the Tiramisu flavor in cupcakes, and the Sweet Buttercream in BC frosting. I have the Southern Butter Pecan at home, but haven't used it yet. I have used a White Chocolate coconut flavored one as well. Some add less flavor than others, but I am ok with subtle flavors sometimes.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

Mamawrobin, I have used the Tiramisu flavor in cupcakes, and the Sweet Buttercream in BC frosting. I have the Southern Butter Pecan at home, but haven't used it yet. I have used a White Chocolate coconut flavored one as well. Some add less flavor than others, but I am ok with subtle flavors sometimes.

Thanks..I've never seen the white chocolate coconut but it sounds yummy.
I'm going to pick up a couple different ones and do a little experimenting. thumbs_up.gif

GeorgieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgieP Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #22 of 25

DeeDelightful-Which WASC recipe did you use and did you use it as is or did you make changes? Thanks!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #23 of 25

I used the WASC posted by Denise2434. I use 6 whole eggs instead of egg whites. I change up the extracts depending on what i have. I will use any combination of vanilla, butter, and/or almond extract. I've used CK brand butter vanilla or CK Creme Bouquet. Sometimes I leave the almond out if it's for a child's cake. They may not appreciate the almond flavor. I probably use more flavoring than what's called for in the recipe, and it still turns out great every time.

I mix dry ingredients together, then add all the wet.

GeorgieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgieP Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks! I appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif

Yum2010 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

Just to clarify: I use the WASC by Rebecca Sutterby ( I do not change it at all). The other recipe I use that adds the pudding is a different recipe all together. It is a tweaked version of the durable recipe fouind here on CC

I use one of thosee 2 recipes for all my cakes......

HTH

Sharon, I baked some cakes using your durable recipe, and it's delish. I think I have found a new one to stick to. Just curious, what makes you use one over the other? In other words, why would you use the WASC in one instance and the durable for others? Does it hold up better for stacking and carving?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%