Question: Freezing Cupcakes?

Baking By HarrietBakes Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm by maddievt

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone

I figure it would be handy to sometimes just grab some cupcakes from the freezer if I fancy having some decorating fun. BUT! If you freeze cupcakes, once defrosted will the cake be the same as a fresh cupcake?

I know this has been disputed in the cake section over and over again, and I would never freeze a normal big cake, but for some reason my mind thinks it would be OK to freeze and defrost cupcakes and the consistency etc would revert back to when freshly baked.
Also I guess I wouldn't make more than one cake at a time, so would never need to freeze it.

Anyway, I am just looking for some clarification. What is the general consenus? Do most of you freeze cupcakes?

Also, how would you store them in the freezer?

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 12

HarrietBakes,
I can only speak for myself. I freeze cupcakes all the time and get rave reviews on how moist they are. I found that taking the wrapper off when you take them out of the freezer helps and it won't stick to the cupcake. This works for me. thumbs_up.gif

MichelleB0802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleB0802 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 12

i.ve actually read that it's ok to freeze a cake
check out this tread

[url]forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6875144-.html[/url]

not sure how to get the link active. but you should be able to copy and paste

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 12

I make cupcakes every time I have extra batter when making a cake and freeze them. I make sure to label them and I read on here to defrost for 12-24 hours IN you packaging you froze it in so as not to lose any moisture. I have had rave reviews and just recently used them for my sons birthday party and everyone loved them! Just make sure to wrap them really well in plastic wrap and then around the plastic wrap, use freezer paper. And make sure to label them!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 12

I may be mistaken, but I don't think cupcakes need 12-24 hours to thaw.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 12

I freeze cupcakes all the time. Wrap them well or they will dry out. If you put them on the counter to that it only takes about 20-30 minutes max (I don't like them as well cold). HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 12

Wow thanks so much everyone! So helpful. I will try it this weekend icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa2007

Just make sure to wrap them really well in plastic wrap and then around the plastic wrap, use freezer paper. And make sure to label them!

So just wrap them individually in cling wrap then in paper in a box?

Thankyooou!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 12

I put them in a flat Tupperware container. Leave on the papers--never have a problem.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I put them in a flat Tupperware container. Leave on the papers--never have a problem.

Same here! Works like a charm - and they are very moist this way!

maddievt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddievt Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #10 of 12

I am a beginner. Do you wrap EACH cupcake individually? And what is the longest you can keep them in the freezer? a few weeks? a few months? Thanks everyone! This is very helpful when you're trying to learn icon_smile.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #11 of 12

I don't wrap my cupcakes individually. I have a few extra 12 cup muffin pans. I cover the tops with a sheet of wax paper and slide the whole thing into a 2 gallon ziploc freezer bag. They defrost quickly and taste great. I have had cupcakes in the freezer for as long as a month and they turn out great. Good luck!

maddievt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddievt Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you! This site has been very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%