Others' Websites

Lounge By Tellis12 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm by mamawrobin

Tellis12 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 9

I'm really not trying to be mean or snarky, but have you ever visited someone's website and wondered if all of the cakes were actually theirs? I was just on one and the quality of work varies drastically from picture to picture, as well as the quality of the photo itself. If I were making cakes like the really gorgeous ones, I wouldn't want the really sloppy ones on there too.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #2 of 9

I've seen websites like that too. If you know who's made a particular cake you see on someone else's website, you can always email them and tell them you saw their photo, then they'll usually email the person who's using their photo without permission and ask that it be removed.

Loucinda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 9

I know of several websites that have quite a few dummy cakes - which are very nice, but their "real" cakes ....not so much. That may be the case too. It is a lot easier to get a perfect cake when it isnt' cake! icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 9

What kind of website is it? Is it a personal one to display pictures or is it a business one? If it is a personal one, then maybe they have their first cakes as well as their new cakes on there? Or maybe they don't have alot of cakes and have displayed all for quanity over quality.

emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 9

I have that problem myself, actually. Some of my earlier cakes are nice, some aren't. The ones that were really bad...well, no one has evidence! lol

But, because my business is new and previously all my work was freebies, I wanted to showcase that I've not only improved, but that I've actually done several cakes.

Heck, my avatar picture here, that was a professional photograph of the freebie wedding cake I did for my friend. On my Web site, I don't use it because I was only given permission to post it here from the photographer. It IS watermarked, so it's obvious.

But some of my other pictures...eh. icon_wink.gif

So, from the hands of someone who has that very problem...I'll eventually replace the older pictures that aren't quite as talented.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 9

I've noticed that on some of the websites that I've 'visited'. I agree with Loucinda, that some could be dummy cakes and the real cakes just aren't as good. I've seen that many times.
I also agree with the op. Some have even been busted out for doing so.

Another thing that bothers me about some websites is the ones that say "I'm not a 'business' yet because I can't have a home based bakery here where I live. I only do cakes for family and friends." Yet they have several photos of cakes, list of different flavors available,have a business name, contact information, etc. and some even say that the "prices will vary by design" .
Ok, if you aren't in business then why is your website suggesting otherwise? icon_confused.gif Anyone else notice any of these websites? Just curious. I 'visited' one earlier today. I read and re-read the entire site and although the person clearly states in the "about us" category that they ARE NOT in business the site clearly IS a business site. icon_confused.gif Just wondering if I'm the only one that finds this odd.

emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I've noticed that on some of the websites that I've 'visited'. I agree with Loucinda, that some could be dummy cakes and the real cakes just aren't as good. I've seen that many times.
I also agree with the op. Some have even been busted out for doing so.

Another thing that bothers me about some websites is the ones that say "I'm not a 'business' yet because I can't have a home based bakery here where I live. I only do cakes for family and friends." Yet they have several photos of cakes, list of different flavors available,have a business name, contact information, etc. and some even say that the "prices will vary by design" .
Ok, if you aren't in business then why is your website suggesting otherwise? icon_confused.gif Anyone else notice any of these websites? Just curious. I 'visited' one earlier today. I read and re-read the entire site and although the person clearly states in the "about us" category that they ARE NOT in business the site clearly IS a business site. icon_confused.gif Just wondering if I'm the only one that finds this odd.

They might think that by declaring they're not a business, the HD won't look further. *shrug*

Tellis12 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 9

I'm talking about pages that are for businesses. And I admit that it did make me go back and edit a few of my own photos. I understand wanting to have several cake photos, but don't you think its damaging to have photos of cakes that aren't good? Especially from when you just started. We all of those photos but I feel like if you're actually trying to have a business, especially for wedding cakes, people don't care how bad you were in the beginning and how much better you are now. All they care about is how good you are when they order their cake.

I guess I just wouldn't want people thinking that I didn't do good work because I posted some of my less than good photos.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

I'm talking about pages that are for businesses. And I admit that it did make me go back and edit a few of my own photos. I understand wanting to have several cake photos, but don't you think its damaging to have photos of cakes that aren't good? Especially from when you just started. We all of those photos but I feel like if you're actually trying to have a business, especially for wedding cakes, people don't care how bad you were in the beginning and how much better you are now. All they care about is how good you are when they order their cake.

I guess I just wouldn't want people thinking that I didn't do good work because I posted some of my less than good photos.

I agree with what you're saying and I knew that you were speaking of 'business' websites. I know that there are those that do...katiebelle74 just started a thread about a business posting a photo of HER wedding cupcakes on their website. So yes...this does happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%