Mbc Epiphany!!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm by DeniseNH

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:30pm
post #241 of 279

Kay, I am thrilled that it turned out well for you! YUM!! White chocolate sould be illegal! icon_cry.gif

Evoir, since this is not a 'crusting' icing, it doesn't take well to the plain Melvira Method. However, if you ice the cake and use a bench scraper or long spatula, you can get a really nice smooth surface. Bench scraper and a turntable is your best (easiest) bet. Simply ice thickly, then use the bench scraper held against the side of the cake and gently spin the turntable removing the 'extra' icing. Keep turning until it's all even and smooth. This stuff smooths very nicely. If you're not using a bench scraper, (Or an extra wide putty knife for example. Plastic or metal.) people have good results with a long spatula. Most people like to dip it in hot water then wipe dry to heat the spatula, then smooth your icing with the hot spatula. But make sure to dry it off, you don't want a wet spatula. thumbs_up.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 7:42am
post #242 of 279

Thanks for that Melvire icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I absolutely LOVE using my roller on my BC cakes. I have nothing but high praise for you, sweetie icon_smile.gif

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:47pm
post #243 of 279

Just a quick questions about the sticks of butter, is your sticks equal to 1/2 cup?

Melvira Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #244 of 279

Yes Spectra! One stick is one half cup.

Evoir, thank you! How nice of you to say!!

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:34am
post #245 of 279

Melvira...I have been meaning to pm you a thank you for a while now, but keep forgetting. So, please accept my thanks...and anyone who hasn't tried it SHOULD try it if they are having issues with their regular crusting BC. I use 100% butter almost always, and it works perfectly with that icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:06am
post #246 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Melvira...I have been meaning to pm you a thank you for a while now, but keep forgetting. So, please accept my thanks...and anyone who hasn't tried it SHOULD try it if they are having issues with their regular crusting BC. I use 100% butter almost always, and it works perfectly with that icon_smile.gif

Well thank you!! I appreciate that very much my dear! And I think as your way of showing your appreciation, you should send me that amazingly gorgeous Siamese God(dess) in your avatar!!! That is a gorgeous cat!!

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:08am
post #247 of 279

That's my 'third child', and yes, she is a wee goddess.
She is also very smart! She is trained to use a (human) toilet, amongst other interesting skills! If she wasn't so darn furry, I'd hire her as an assistant in the business icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:00pm
post #248 of 279

Well she is just beautiful. My cat is pretty, but he's only trained to eat, sleep, and whine to go outside! icon_lol.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:38am
post #249 of 279
Quote:

I', sorry if this has already been covered in this thread, but can you MBC gurus share with me your preferred method of smoothing this type of BC? I find its fine to work on a 'rough' spatula'd exterior, but what if you want that really smooth BC look (for which I use Melviras method! Thanks Melvira!) ? I am sure someone mentioned refrigerating it until solid then using the roller, but would that work? I thought it might be too solid :-/

I used to try chilling it and then using a hot spatula, and the results were less than impressive. Some of the butterfats separate out and leave a blotchy look, especially if your icing is colored. Phooey.

Further to what Melvira posted in response to your question, with regard to the bench scraper, here's a repost of the link I'd just posted: it's Antonia74's smoothing method. You WILL NOT be sorry. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=15

Let me show you an example. Hot spatula smoothing method http://cakecentral.com/gallery/727883
Antonia74's smoothing method http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1457337

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:17am
post #250 of 279

ceshell -

Welcome home!

I have no problem smoothing mbc frostings, but I had seen a post on a forum, a long time ago, where someone collared their cake in freezer paper, shiny side to the cake, and chilled it, then used the fondant smoother on it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:56am
post #251 of 279

Thanks ceshell icon_smile.gif

I remember that thread (think I posted on it about page icon_cool.gif and I do use a hardware scraper to get my BC almost perfect, and then do the Melvira thang. I read back through Antonia's posts in that thread, and basically she uses her scraper on room-temp copious IMBC, and then 'removes' it (rather than adding and patching etc). Is that all? Could it be that easy?!

Melvira Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:58pm
post #252 of 279
Quote:

I remember that thread (think I posted on it about page icon_cool.gif and I do use a hardware scraper to get my BC almost perfect, and then do the Melvira thang. I read back through Antonia's posts in that thread, and basically she uses her scraper on room-temp copious IMBC, and then 'removes' it (rather than adding and patching etc). Is that all? Could it be that easy?!

That's what I was saying earlier, just put on a lot more icing than you need, then 'whittle it down' with your scraper and it will be smooth and even. thumbs_up.gif The only thing you have to watch for are what I call stutters. If you stop the turntable you will get a little line where the scraper was. You have to pull the scraper away from the cake before stopping.

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:39pm
post #253 of 279

I couldn't sleep last night so I was brousing through the forums, when I bumped into this one. I read through the whole thing, so I wouldn't miss any bit of information, and was dieing to try your recipe. I love the taste of butter, and the thought of finding an icing that wasn't so sweet sounded sweet! Soooo... I tried it, and I like it, but, it did kind of feel like a mouth full of butter. I was just wondering if it would work to just lessen the amount of butter. Has anyone out there ever tried SMBC with less butter than it called for?

Melvira Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:44pm
post #254 of 279

Yes! Several people have said that cutting back a bit on butter gave perfectly great results! It was too buttery for me at first too, but I warmed up to it. I don't make it very often though because ABC is still the standard favorite around here, and if it's in the fridge, I cannot be trusted! Heheh.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:51pm
post #255 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsywest

I couldn't sleep last night so I was brousing through the forums, when I bumped into this one. I read through the whole thing, so I wouldn't miss any bit of information, and was dieing to try your recipe. I love the taste of butter, and the thought of finding an icing that wasn't so sweet sounded sweet! Soooo... I tried it, and I like it, but, it did kind of feel like a mouth full of butter. I was just wondering if it would work to just lessen the amount of butter. Has anyone out there ever tried SMBC with less butter than it called for?

I actually use some Hi Ratio shortening in place of some of the butter. I do this because I live in the south and want to help the stability of my SMBC, but it does also cut back a bit on the buttery-ness. I use 2 1/2 lbs butter, 8 oz. of Hi-Ratio, 10 egg whites, 3 cups granulated sugar + flavorings.

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:05pm
post #256 of 279

Thanks, I think I will definitely play around with it a while. It's nice to have options other than the super sweet stuff.

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:54am
post #257 of 279

I'm sorry if this was answered in on an earlier page, I tried to read through all of them...Melvira, what was the video you saw on YouTube? I did a search and found a bunch. Thanks in advance!

Melvira Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:14am
post #258 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea1972

I'm sorry if this was answered in on an earlier page, I tried to read through all of them...Melvira, what was the video you saw on YouTube? I did a search and found a bunch. Thanks in advance!

Absolutely NO problem!! It's called 1-2-3 Swiss meringue buttercream by Dyann Bakes. An unfortunately now defunct bakers website. Here is a link. It is so simple and gave me the confidence to try it again, even though previously I was not a fan.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:32am
post #259 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

That's what I was saying earlier, just put on a lot more icing than you need, then 'whittle it down' with your scraper and it will be smooth and even. thumbs_up.gif The only thing you have to watch for are what I call stutters. If you stop the turntable you will get a little line where the scraper was. You have to pull the scraper away from the cake before stopping.

__^___^__What she said! It really is that simple! I didn't believe it and had Antonia74's post printed out for numerous cakes before actually trying it. I finally tried it when I was getting fed up with how lumpy my cakes were turning out. Couldn't believe I didn't try it sooner - soooo easy and such amazing results!

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:38pm
post #260 of 279

Melvira,

Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to check it out. It always helps me to have a visual to look at in addition to the recipe.

Thanks again for all of your knowledge and time!

Melvira Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:53pm
post #261 of 279

Absolutely my pleasure! And I'm so glad we have so many amazing decorators here who can share their pix of how they do it, because it really DOES help to see it! I agree!!

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #262 of 279

is there anyway to get a white MBC?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:12pm
post #263 of 279

I have made the smbc for some years now. But i did not use the carton egg whites. For some reason i was afraid to. Thank you Melvira for giving me the confidence in using the liquid whites from the carton. I made some chocolate last nite and it tasted just like i have always made it using the real egg whites(the kind you crack open) lol!! I even made brown sugar smbc also. I have read to make it whiter, to use european butter and beat it a long time(liter and fluffy). I still make my american b/c also for the ones that love that. everyone doesn,t like smbc or imbc, thats ok.

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:18am
post #264 of 279

Melvire and all those who post, THANK YOU. I still would be lving in a small cake box.
I do have a few questions. For the PBMBC, do you use all brown sugar or half brown half reg?
Is there a recipe that I am not finding for french buttercream?

THANKS

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:39pm
post #265 of 279

Just wanted to post this here in case someone else runs into this situation. I was asked to make sugar-free SMBC this weekend, and I was really thinking it wouldn't work. I did some research, and most of the info said, nope, the chemistry just isn't right with sucralose or Splenda, etc. But the lady I did it for is diabetic, and there was no way I was going to say no without even trying! I did her wedding cake a couple of years ago, and it was a great sugar-free learning experience, let me tell ya!

So, to sum it all up, YES, you CAN make SMBC with sucralose...totally sugar-free, and it tastes DELISH!!!

I made sure my egg-whites were room temp, my butter was verrrry room temp, and I poured my sucralose into the egg whites well in advance of cooking them. I mean, like 2 hours before. I whisked the sucralose/egg whites well, and letting them sit meant that the sugar sub was totally dissolved in the egg-whites. This seemed to have been a problem in many of the posts/articles I read saying it wouldn't work.

So, I finally put them on the double-boiler, whisking constantly, and they came up to 140 REALLY fast. I was almost scared I'd over-done it lol . Also, when I put the bowl into it's water-bath, they cooled REALLY fast. Usually takes longer. Anyway, so I start whipping, and it seems to take longer to get them to soft peaks. But once they got there and I started to add the butter, I got really worried.

It looked curdled almost immediately, and stayed that way until I had EVERY bit of butter in. I was totally thinking it was a bust, but when I put that last pat of butter in and kept whipping, it came together beautifully! Flavored well, piped great, and I have a very happy diabetic friend!!!

Hope this helps someone else!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:13pm
post #266 of 279

Hooray!!! I finally made it, and I love it, though I had mixed reviews.

I made Brown Sugar SMBC to go on my brown sugar vanilla cupcakes and the combination was AMAZING!
My fiance (I can never remember if the guy has one or two e's?) HATED it and didn't even swallow it, he wiped it off of his tongue. My stepdad felt the same way. My daughter, mother, sister, and I all thought it was the most over the top delicious frosting we'd ever had.

I mixed about 1 cup of the brown sugar smbc in with a full batch of my normal buttercream, and that won over the doubters. It still had the rich brown sugar taste, but the texture was more of what they were used to.

Thank you SO MUCH for this thread- I don't know when/if I would have tried if I hadn't had it spelled out so clearly and with so many positive reviews.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:17pm
post #267 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

So, to sum it all up, YES, you CAN make SMBC with sucralose...totally sugar-free, and it tastes DELISH!!!

I...LOVE...YOU!!!

I am so excited to hear this... I haven't been able to try it myself, but do have a couple people looking for sugar free options. I am so excited to hear your hints and success. THAT ROCKS!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:37am
post #268 of 279

Well, thanks so much, Melvira lol ! I posted this because I *know* others are being asked to make sugar-free treats.

I did think of something else to add...I had to flavor it more aggressively than I have in the past to get a good, deep flavor. I made mocha, and I had to add about half again the vanilla/coffee solution that I do with regular SMBC. It was still quite buttery, but it had enough mocha to offset the buttery-ness.

Also, I should add that I was making this with my hand-held, not my stand mixer, so I'm sure that affected the length of time it took to get to soft-peaks, and for the icing to come together with all the butter.

I think letting the egg whites/sucralose sit for a while makes sure the sugar sub is dissolved, because it doesn't dissolve like regular sugar. Very important.

I'll be making this again, I'm sure.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #269 of 279

Really wish I would've found this thread before making my SMBC. I used it to frost 2 ez cuppies. They are vanilla/chocolate marble with ganache filling. I added 1/3 Tsp vanilla and 1/2 Tsp almond to the SMBC but still it had a buttery taste. Of course I still frosted the cuppies and now I'm in full panick mode thinking they will be hated bc so many here have commented about the overly buttery flavor. Crap crap crap. Well what's done is done and I guess we shall see what the client thinks tomorrow!

Melvira Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:39am
post #270 of 279

I wouldn't be too worried... it really does taste less buttery when it's on the cake/cupcake than when you take a spoonful and eat it straight. I have come to absolutely adore it! I made a batch of butter rum the other day, and I had to put it out in the cooler in my detached garage to keep my pudgy fingers out of it! Argh!! The weather has been bad enough that I won't sneak out there to eat icing! Hahahaha!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%