Tiered Cake Too Heavy?

Decorating By 3boysmama Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm by sweet_honesty

3boysmama Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 12

I have a customer who's requested glasses with marbles in them in between the cake tiers... I'm worried that it's going to be too heavy... any suggestions? I've attached a pic of the 'dummy' I made...
LL

11 replies
sweet_honesty Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 12

You could hot glue the glasses to the perspex/glass separator plates to avoid slippage...

Maybe you could use a floating tier design ..the one with the central rod running right through and wrap the centre pole in a ribbon to match the colour scheme so it doesn't stand out too much.....

3boysmama Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 12

OH, i was planning on hot gluing them... forgot to mention that. I'm not aware of the floating tiers with a rod you're talking about. Might that be something I could rent?

Cindy619 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 12

I would say that you want to make sure that you have a really good support system. I don't think bubble straws/wood dowels would even come close to holding up this cake! I would think that SPS would be able to hold up the layers, but other CCers might be able to offer more insight on that.

3boysmama Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #5 of 12

I don't know what 'SPS' stands for...

Cindy619 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 12

SPS stands for Single Plate Separator.

Here's a great thread that includes instructions on how-to use the system: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925-sps.html

Hope this helps!

3boysmama Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:26am
post #7 of 12

thanks Cindy... wonder if i can get one before Saturday icon_smile.gif

sweet_honesty Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 12

I'm sorry I meant the tall tier stand...not the floating tier stand...sorry

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BB93-475A-BAC0-52555DC793C1FEC1&fid=3E33109F-475A-BAC0-514197B5E889D67F

A configuration like that would allow you to have the glasses in between without having to rely on the glasses as support.

I have never used the stand so I can't vouch for it but the general shape is what I was thinking would work.

The thing about SPS is that the pillars would show and I'm not too sure how that would look.

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 12

The W Tall Tier is wonky. It rocks (not like This rocks! like it moves side to side) with a cake on it.

Cindy619 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

The thing about SPS is that the pillars would show and I'm not too sure how that would look.

I actually wasn't thinking about using tall pillars. I was thinking in terms of using the 4" pillars in the actual cake layers to hold up the weight of the glasses above. See if this makes sense:

-Bottom cake tier with 4" SPS
-Then a layer with the glasses in between two boards - the bottom board would sit directly on the separator plate, then then the glasses, then a sturdy board on top of the glasses which would hold up the next cake tier
-Then repeat with the next cake tier and 4" SPS
-etc

This is way harder to explain in writing then I thought!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

Quote:
Quote:

I actually wasn't thinking about using tall pillars. I was thinking in terms of using the 4" pillars in the actual cake layers to hold up the weight of the glasses above. See if this makes sense:

-Bottom cake tier with 4" SPS
-Then a layer with the glasses in between two boards - the bottom board would sit directly on the separator plate, then then the glasses, then a sturdy board on top of the glasses which would hold up the next cake tier
-Then repeat with the next cake tier and 4" SPS
-etc

This is way harder to explain in writing then I thought!

That's
what I was picturing, I think this would actually work pretty well, now I kinda what to do it icon_biggrin.gif [/i]

sweet_honesty Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 12

I get ya now Cindy........Though to ease my mind I would probably hot glue the bottom board to the separator plate....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%