Another Silver Fondant Question...

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 5:13am by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 6

I'm wanting to paint a tier to be a metallic silver. I have two questions pertaining to this. I know what I need to do it, but here are my questions: 1) how close to the silver does the fondant under the vodka/dust mixture need to be? Will it really show through a lot, or will the silver basically cover it? My gray fondant came out a little more like a greyish brown and IDK if I need to remake it lighter for this to look okay... and 2) Do I need to paint the fondant while 'wet' or should I wait for the fondant to sit out on the cake and dry for a while? I'm also painting decorations and I don't know if I should paint them immediately after I cut them, or should I wait until they are dry?

Thanks for your help!

5 replies
MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 6

BUMP- anyone?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 6

Roll out a little piece of your gray fondant and paint it, and you'll see exactly how it will look icon_biggrin.gif

You can let it dry or paint it while it's wet. Either way will work. It might be easier to dry the decorations before you paint them, so you can pick them up without them losing their shape.

MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

I was afraid that would be the answer... only because I haven't bought the silver dust yet! icon_sad.gif

Do you happen to know from experience how much the color shows through?

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 6

If you buy silver dust I'd really recommend getting the Global Sugar Art's "nu silver" and not the Wilton silver luster dust. The nu silver was sooooo awesome, shiny and metallic looking - my Wilton silver always looked dull, greyish, and streaky no matter how much I used - the nu silver was beautifulicon_smile.gif

MJTKNT Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:13am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if my local cake shop carries it. I'm too close to order online...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%