Pretty Sure That This Would Be A Copyright Issue

Decorating By awatterson Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm by funcakes

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #1 of 18

A client wants me to make a pair of shoes. It has a LV on the tongue and the Louis Vuitton symbol on the sides. Isn't that their copyright?

http://www.sneakerobsession.com/8401/kanye-west-x-louis-vuitton-dons-new-pictures/

17 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:45am
post #2 of 18

yes, it is

awatterson Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #3 of 18

Sweet. Thanks.

awatterson Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 18

I didn't even want to try to "find a way around" that copyright.

Doug Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 18

simple...

girly looking sneaker --

bit of bling on it

and then instead of LV

put the girl's initials!

awatterson Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 18

I DIDN'T want to find a way around it, but thanks. I really don't think that my skills are up to that level yet and I really don't want to disappoint her. I didn't want to be back on here in a few weeks asking what I should do because I took on a cake that out of my skill level and she wasn't happy with it.

Doug Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 18

ok...copyright protected -- that's your story (and the truth) and you're sticking to it! thumbs_up.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

ok...copyright protected -- that's your story (and the truth) and you're sticking to it! thumbs_up.gif

Love it!

awatterson Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:06am
post #9 of 18

This is the email that she sent back to me after I told her that I couldn't do them because of copyright. She doesn't seem to want to take "no" for an answer. She says she wouldn't show them to anyone, yeah right. I have a hard time believing that if you spend a ton of money on a cake that those pictures wouldn't be all over Facebook. I just sent her the price for the cakes and I told her that I wouldn't do the symbols, and where the LV is I could do his initials and I wouldn't write Louis Vuitton on it either. I think once she sees the price she won't email me back.

Heyy,
Well im not really too much concerned with the deal tails as far as texture but mainly colors and they gold on shoes strings and how they are stuff like that and i know it has "louis vutton" written out on the side but we dont have to do that we can just do the LV maybe on the tounge and the little symbols on ther bottom soul? i reallly really want this cake to be perfect and i like your work i understand the copyright situation but like i said we can just do the LV on the top of the tounge and thre 3 little symbols on the buttom? i mean im not going to put pics on the internet or anything anyways so noone would see it except my family. but just give me a call tom on my cell with the price and all that we can talk more about it i really appreciate if u did this! thank youuu

Doug Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:15am
post #10 of 18

Good for you. Stand your ground.

Why am I not surprised by her contempt for the rules considering her contempt for spelling and grammar?

awatterson Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:21am
post #11 of 18

Doug, you are too funny.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:43am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

Why am I not surprised by her contempt for the rules considering her contempt for spelling and grammar?

Complete and total lack of respect for the English language, and for copyrights too!

Don't feel bad about not doing the cake. Those are some fugly shoes!

awatterson Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 18

That is exactly why I didn't want to do it. Although I better get used to the idea that clients are going to pick cakes that I don't always think are pretty.

awatterson Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 18

She is fine with not having the symbols now and she doesn't mind paying $225 for them either. UGH. She said that she doesn't care about all of the textures, but I still want to make it look nice. Now I need to find an impression mat for those shoe strings.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 18

So I am looking at your pictures and so think you can pull this off! If you are really worried maybe you can make the cake a shoebox with the shoe a RKT on top of it?

awatterson Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks deMarualist. I am just worried about the texture on the shoe laces.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 18

sorry, forgot that, doesn't the back of a silpat have a small diamond impression that would work (I am at work so I can't check mine).

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #18 of 18

I sympathize with your problem with this customer, but this gave me the chuckle for the day.

Quote: "i understand the copyright situation" -love the lack of capitalization, even my first graders know better than that!

ummm-No you don't! You absolutely do not understand the copyright!

I am so amused by people either lying without putting any effort into it and/or just being dumb.

I am less amused by people who will ignore the law, and what is fair and right as long as "no one will see it!"

Hang tough, my cc friend, hang tough. Let's all have zero tolerance for cake bullying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%