Is This A Smart Decision?

Business By ktbicchinella Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 11:32am by costumeczar

ktbicchinella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbicchinella Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone my name is Katie, I just came across this website while I was researching some advice and it seems to be a perfect website. I am a stay at home mom of one and I LOVE decorating cakes, my husband and I discussed about me opeing a homebased cake buisness? Am I making a smart decision? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! Thank you so much, Katie

11 replies
JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 12

Welcome to the site...there truly is a lot to learn here and a ton of great information.

I would recommend reading through the Cake Decorating Business forum to check on the legalities and logistics of setting up a business. There are so many things (big and small) that can be easy to overlook in the excitement of wanting to get started, but can make or break everything.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 12

Welcome Katie, You for surely came across a great site!! You will find a TON of information here. Good luck to you and your cake adventure! icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 12

Welcome to the most addicting site you'll come across! I KNOW you'll find out so much info here. Make sure being an at home baker is legal in your area ~ these forums can help you determine that.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #5 of 12

Welcome to cc. I would suggest you read the many threads in the business forum on this site. Tons of great information in those threads.

Only you can determine if a home based cake business is right for you. I even think there is a thread on which states allow home baking. That would be a good place to start.
thumbs_up.gif

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #6 of 12

Welcome. I as well just happen to come across this site a couple of months ago and it definitely is very helpful. Alot of great ideas.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Only you can determine if a home based cake business is right for you. I even think there is a thread on which states allow home baking. That would be a good place to start.
thumbs_up.gif

Welcome! Just a little warning: This site becomes very addicting! I discovered this site in May and have had such a fun time learning all kinds of things from other members as well as enjoying everyone's talent. I would definitely check the laws in your state as to whether or not you can open a home-based bakery. I live in Idaho and I cannot sell items made from the same building I reside in. Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #8 of 12

Here's what everyone is talking about... at the top of this forum page, there's a "sticky" (blue folder) that lists which states allow home baking businesses. The link: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-586218-0.html

It's a great place to start your research. Happy reading!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 12

Figure out if your state allows home bakeries and then create a business plan. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 12

Where are you located? That can answer your question about whether you can have a home-based bakery right there. I'll also say that if you want to have a business you'll need to run it like a business, so make sure you understand what goes into that. It's not enough to like baking, you also have to have an understanding of bookkeeping and marketing (among other things).

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:43am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It's not enough to like baking, you also have to have an understanding of bookkeeping and marketing (among other things).

Because when you are a business....the other stuff takes up more time than you could imagine...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:32am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It's not enough to like baking, you also have to have an understanding of bookkeeping and marketing (among other things).

Because when you are a business....the other stuff takes up more time than you could imagine...

Ooooohhhh, so true. Heinously true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%