Tylose In Fondant!

Decorating By divinecc Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm by samarinbooboo

divinecc Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 17

Lately my fondant figurines have been sagging, you know a fairy princess is now a pudgy pregnant princess...lol! I have heard to try adding tylose to the fondant. How much would you suggest I use and do I have to add it when I make the fondant (MMF) or can I just add as I need it? Just a guesstimate would help I don't want to end up using too much or too little. TIA

16 replies
Dayti Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 17

Try watching this video by Aine2, she says how much powder she adds to finished fondant/sugarpaste (half a teaspoon per 250g/8.8oz fondant) and how to store it well:

She has many helpful videos icon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #3 of 17

Lorraine suggests that you add 1 tsp./pound to Satin Ice or FondX and 1/2 tsp./pound to Wilton fondant.

She has no specific guidelines for MMF because every recipe is different when it comes to ingredients, amounts, texture, etc.

You'll probably need to just add a little at a time until you're happy with the result.

Rae

divinecc Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks for all your help! I am going to watch the video and play around a little with it tonight icon_wink.gif

divinecc Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 17

I did exactly what the video and you all suggested about 1/2 tsp to 8 oz and it worked great! I didn't have to keep pushing up any sagging backs, bellies or feet icon_smile.gif Wonderful to work with, thanks a bunch! icon_biggrin.gif

beginner1933 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 17

This is great to know. Will this work with fondarific fondant as well?

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner1933

No, NO!!!

Fondarific/Duff's Fondant has many, many times the FAT in it compared to other fondant types. The tylose can't overcome the fat or mitigate the action heat can have on fat. It can "seem" to work when the fats harden back up due to cool temps, but when the piece gets warm................not so good.

Fondarific is great for covering cakes and for flat things, but it's not good at all for figures, flowers, etc.

Rae

costumeczar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 17

Toba Garret's quick gumpaste recipe is 2 tsp tylose to 1lb home made fondant, or 1 1/2 tsp tylose to 1lb store-bought.

samarinbooboo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner1933

No, NO!!!

Fondarific/Duff's Fondant has many, many times the FAT in it compared to other fondant types. The tylose can't overcome the fat or mitigate the action heat can have on fat. It can "seem" to work when the fats harden back up due to cool temps, but when the piece gets warm................not so good.

Fondarific is great for covering cakes and for flat things, but it's not good at all for figures, flowers, etc.

Rae

Did you find this out by trial and error?

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 17

Not personally, thank god icon_lol.gif I hate to waste product.

I read the dozens of posts here on CC complaining about it tylose not helping in Fondarific, so I compared ingredients lists and discovered that it has a base more like candy melts than fondant. It's way higher in fat calories, too.......... icon_cool.gif

I used some Fondarific on a cake for this past weekend and just taking it out of the container, the fat globules are very obvious.

Rae

samarinbooboo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:

Not personally, thank god icon_lol.gif I hate to waste product.

I read the dozens of posts here on CC complaining about it tylose not helping in Fondarific, so I compared ingredients lists and discovered that it has a base more like candy melts than fondant. It's way higher in fat calories, too.......... icon_cool.gif

I used some Fondarific on a cake for this past weekend and just taking it out of the container, the fat globules are very obvious.

Rae

Interesting. So would it be more like modeling chocolate then? Do you make your own fondant as well?

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 17

Yes, I found it to work much more like modeling chocolate than fondant. It can be rolled paper thin (really nice for covering cake drums as it can also be repaired easily & for a long time).

No, I don't make my own fondant. I purchase Wilton with coupons for items that won't be eaten and I use Satin Ice for most other things. I've also used FondX and Massa Grischuna. I like knowing exactly what I'll get, rather than fighting intermittent problems or disasters and when I calculate it out, I think it gives me the most value for my time.

JMHO
Rae

samarinbooboo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Yes, I found it to work much more like modeling chocolate than fondant. It can be rolled paper thin (really nice for covering cake drums as it can also be repaired easily & for a long time).

No, I don't make my own fondant. I purchase Wilton with coupons for items that won't be eaten and I use for most other things. I've also used FondX and Massa Grischuna. I like knowing exactly what I'll get, rather than fighting intermittent problems or disasters and when I calculate it out, I think it gives me the most value for my time.

JMHO
Rae

Cool deal. I make my own because there is only Wilton around here. Where do you order the Satin Ice from? I am thinking of ordering the black and red of that because everyone knows it's a pain tinting those 2 colors. Thanks for your replies.

Jennifer thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 17

Absolutely CANNOT live without my pre-colored Satin Ice. I keep red, yellow, blue, and black on hand so that I can mix them together to make the other colors icon_wink.gif

I usually order directly from the company at the ICES convention every year. The one-time/yr. deal is too good to pass up.

If I need some in between conventions, I order from f o n d a n t s o u r c e .com (eliminate all spaces). Excellent prices, great customer service, quick shipping.

Rae

samarinbooboo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

Absolutely CANNOT live without my pre-colored . I keep red, yellow, blue, and black on hand so that I can mix them together to make the other colors icon_wink.gif

I usually order directly from the company at the ICES convention every year. The one-time/yr. deal is too good to pass up.

If I need some in between conventions, I order from f o n d a n t s o u r c e .com (eliminate all spaces). Excellent prices, great customer service, quick shipping.

Rae

What is the ICES convention? Is that just in one city or all over? I live in SC.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 17

It's the annual convention--alternates East, West, North, South, sort of--for the International Cake Exploration Societe (ices.org) Next year, it's in Charleston, NC.

You can find out all about this year's here:

http://www.ices10.org/pages/hoc.htm

Rae

samarinbooboo Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:

It's the annual convention--alternates East, West, North, South, sort of--for the International Cake Exploration Societe (ices.org) Next year, it's in Charleston, NC.

You can find out all about this year's here:

http://www.ices10.org/pages/hoc.htm

Rae

You are awesome. I might could do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%