How To Decide On A Mixer Brand And Size?

Decorating By nonilm Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm by cakeprof

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 10

Here is my dilema...I was ready to exchange my KA Artisan for a KA professional 5 or 600 series. Now I am having second thoughts. How do I decide? Two things....Which brand and which size?

I usually bake once a week. Most of the time I will mix two cake mix batters at a time and double batches of Wilton or Indydebi BC. Is a 6 or 7qt bowl too big? Should I stick with the 5 or 5.5qt?

My KA is 6 months old and drives me crazy every time I use it, the top wobbles so much the pin wiggles out! It's so much louder than my old Classic and the speeds seem messed up too. After reading some other posts I'm considering the Cuisinart or Viking.

It is a large purchase but I don't mind paying for a good product! Please help me decide!

9 replies
karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 10

My suggestion: buy a Cuisinart. I got one for Mother's Day and I would never go back to a Kitchen Aid. It's much better (I had a KA Artisan previously). Feels more sturdy, feels more powerful, makes less of a mess on my counter and floor. I have the 7 qt and it is a wonderful kitchen tool. And it holds a TON! I just made a double WASC recipe today and it didn't even come close to filling up the bowl. I've never made a triple WASC in it, but I bet I could. If you search for Cuisinart in the forums you'll find other posts with other saying similarly great things. It's a great machine.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 10

I purchased a Kenwood KM800 650watt 7qt mixer in 2002. I love this thing. My KA is in the garage. It broke down after one year of light use. My Kenwood is awesome. I believe the name has changed to Delonghi now. It has an excellent range on speeds, plastic cover for the bowl and all metal gears. I have never had any problems with this mixer and I even make my fondant using this mixer. I paid approx. 220.00. They do sell attachments like meat grinders, blender etc.
LL

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 10

I didn't realize that they are still under the same name. I didn't even know that Kenwood is a European brand. Look what you did I looked up the site and now I am drooling at the twenty new models. LOL I want them all.
http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en/Products/Kitchen-Machines/Chef-and-Major/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 10

I had two Kenwoods, and I will say two things: They're powerful. They're loud.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 10

I just got the 7 quart Cuisinart after much searching, in the end the Cooks Illustrated review is what pushed me over to the Cuisinart. I love it!

The Kenwood site does look interesting though

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 10

I just ordered the KA 600 professional series since I burned up my KA standard (4 qt I think) but it was about 18 years old so I think I got my money's worth. I was a little nervous about ordering it but it did get good reviews when I researched it. I figured for the little exta $, I'd like to have the higher watts and bigger bowl. I hope I didn't make a bad decision, especially because I just got an email yesterday saying it was shipped. I'd really like to be able to make mmf in my KA and not by hand. That's what burned up my standard KA icon_redface.gif

Here's a questions...does anyone know if I can use my standard size KA bowl with the 600?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonilm

Here is my dilema...I was ready to exchange my KA Artisan for a KA professional 5 or 600 series. Now I am having second thoughts. How do I decide? Two things....Which brand and which size?

I usually bake once a week. Most of the time I will mix two cake mix batters at a time and double batches of Wilton or Indydebi BC. Is a 6 or 7qt bowl too big? Should I stick with the 5 or 5.5qt?

My KA is 6 months old and drives me crazy every time I use it, the top wobbles so much the pin wiggles out! It's so much louder than my old Classic and the speeds seem messed up too. After reading some other posts I'm considering the Cuisinart or Viking.

It is a large purchase but I don't mind paying for a good product! Please help me decide!

The pin comes out of a KA. Where is the pin? The thing in front that holds the cover for the attachments? Is your KA brand new at six months?

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

The pin comes out of a KA. Where is the pin? The thing in front that holds the cover for the attachments? Is your KA brand new at six months?

The large pin where the tilt head pivots. It was brand new when I purchased it 6 months ago at Bed Bath & Beyond, I spoke to them and told them I realize it has been six months but they said I could return it because it's their policy if you are not 100% satisfied.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

I just ordered the KA 600 professional series since I burned up my KA standard (4 qt I think) but it was about 18 years old so I think I got my money's worth. I was a little nervous about ordering it but it did get good reviews when I researched it. I figured for the little exta $, I'd like to have the higher watts and bigger bowl. I hope I didn't make a bad decision, especially because I just got an email yesterday saying it was shipped. I'd really like to be able to make mmf in my KA and not by hand. That's what burned up my standard KA icon_redface.gif

Here's a questions...does anyone know if I can use my standard size KA bowl with the 600?

If by standard you mean the bowls that are associated with the Aristan style mixers (tilt head) then no, the 600 pro is a lift system where the bowls are attached with pins. Plus the 600 bowl is wider so again a standard 4.5 qt bowl will not work with the 600 pro.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%