Spending Money

Decorating By eccl1-12 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 11:19am by brincess_b

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 11

I was recently given the ok to go on amazon and get some books that I have been wanting. For sure I want the Planet Cake book, and I already have a Sugar book and Cakes to Dream On by Colette Peters. I need Planet Cake for a technique that I will probably be using in December. Are there any book suggestions out there?

Which one do I need and why? Thanks in advance for any advise!

If it helps, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have done several wedding cakes, each one different, so I am not completely green. Just still always learning.

10 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 11

Do you want the books for recipes or techniques or both? I really love the recipes in my Cake Love book. I also would recommend the Cake Bible. It has lots of helpful how-tos as well as some great recipes.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccl1-12

I was recently given the ok to go on amazon and get some books that I have been wanting. For sure I want the Planet Cake book, and I already have a book and Cakes to Dream On by Colette Peters. I need Planet Cake for a technique that I will probably be using in December. Are there any book suggestions out there?

Which one do I need and why? Thanks in advance for any advise!

If it helps, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have done several wedding cakes, each one different, so I am not completely green. Just still always learning.

Hi I think the International Book of Sugar by Nicholas Lodge is brilliant. Its in 3 different volumes and covers just about EVERYTHING and has ideas too. there are more advanced techniques in books 2 and advanced in 3 but even if you aren't a novice it has so much stuff in - flowers, buttercream, royal icing, recipes, piping, to name a few. Mine were bought for me when i first started out and i thought "yikes i'll never be able to do any of that" but even now that i've been on courses they still are a great source of information. The Debbie Brown books are also great for fun novelty cake inspiration
I love buying cake books - I think i must have purchased half of Amazon lol icon_biggrin.gif

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 11

ramie7224- I have more recipes than I will ever be able to try, not to mention there is always the internet. Probably more technique is what I am needing. Also I think I have the Cake Bible but I have not heard of Cake Love. I'll have to take a look at that- thanks!

allaboutcakeuk- have to chuckle- the International Book of [apparently a word that isn't allowed here] by Nicholas Lodge is the one I have, but I only have one of the volumes- I might have to look at the other two. I think maybe I have the second or third one and I love it but at times I feel like maybe I should have the first because I am missing bits of info. I will check out Debbie Browns books too. Thank you!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 11

I would get Romantic Wedding Cakes by Kerry Vincent. I've got a scanned copy of it and it's amazing.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #6 of 11

and any Debbie Brown books if you want to make fondant people. even her naughty books, you can always dress them!! LOL

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #7 of 11

Get more books for your spending money- check half.com. I got half a dozen or so on there and they are all in new shape. I love the Debbie Brown books and I'm hoping to get a Lindsay whatshername (Smith?) book soon. I got 6 Debbie Brown books and the Cake Bible for under a hundred bucks, including shipping.

Okay, that's not what you asked. icon_smile.gif I like Debbie Brown's books. There's always Whimsical Cakehouse, too.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:59am
post #8 of 11

Not to be repetitive, but I just wanted to agree with ramie7224 about the Cake Love book. I just rented it from the library and it is definitely on my need to get list. I also just purchased the Planet Cake book and there is soo much good information in it. I can't wait to try some of the techniques. So, I would definitely suggest those two.

ramie7224, which recipes are your absolute favorite? He has so many I don't know where to start. lol icon_smile.gif

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:18am
post #9 of 11

I second Cheatize on the Whimsical Bakehouse. I would also spring for Julia Child & Dorie Greenspan's Baking with Julia.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:51am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccl1-12

ramie7224- I have more recipes than I will ever be able to try, not to mention there is always the internet. Probably more technique is what I am needing. Also I think I have the Cake Bible but I have not heard of Cake Love. I'll have to take a look at that- thanks!

allaboutcakeuk- have to chuckle- the International Book of [apparently a word that isn't allowed here] by Nicholas Lodge is the one I have, but I only have one of the volumes- I might have to look at the other two. I think maybe I have the second or third one and I love it but at times I feel like maybe I should have the first because I am missing bits of info. I will check out Debbie Browns books too. Thank you!

Ha. Wondered why that word dud not appear! Is the cake love book American? I may have to purchase from your recommendation

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:19am
post #11 of 11

also if your into sugar flowers, any of alan dunns books are good.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%