Spending Money

Decorating By eccl1-12 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 11:19am by brincess_b

eccl1-12 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 11

I was recently given the ok to go on amazon and get some books that I have been wanting. For sure I want the Planet Cake book, and I already have a Sugar book and Cakes to Dream On by Colette Peters. I need Planet Cake for a technique that I will probably be using in December. Are there any book suggestions out there?

Which one do I need and why? Thanks in advance for any advise!

If it helps, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have done several wedding cakes, each one different, so I am not completely green. Just still always learning.

10 replies
ramie7224 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 11

Do you want the books for recipes or techniques or both? I really love the recipes in my Cake Love book. I also would recommend the Cake Bible. It has lots of helpful how-tos as well as some great recipes.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccl1-12

I was recently given the ok to go on amazon and get some books that I have been wanting. For sure I want the Planet Cake book, and I already have a book and Cakes to Dream On by Colette Peters. I need Planet Cake for a technique that I will probably be using in December. Are there any book suggestions out there?

Which one do I need and why? Thanks in advance for any advise!

If it helps, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have done several wedding cakes, each one different, so I am not completely green. Just still always learning.

Hi I think the International Book of Sugar by Nicholas Lodge is brilliant. Its in 3 different volumes and covers just about EVERYTHING and has ideas too. there are more advanced techniques in books 2 and advanced in 3 but even if you aren't a novice it has so much stuff in - flowers, buttercream, royal icing, recipes, piping, to name a few. Mine were bought for me when i first started out and i thought "yikes i'll never be able to do any of that" but even now that i've been on courses they still are a great source of information. The Debbie Brown books are also great for fun novelty cake inspiration
I love buying cake books - I think i must have purchased half of Amazon lol icon_biggrin.gif

eccl1-12 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 11

ramie7224- I have more recipes than I will ever be able to try, not to mention there is always the internet. Probably more technique is what I am needing. Also I think I have the Cake Bible but I have not heard of Cake Love. I'll have to take a look at that- thanks!

allaboutcakeuk- have to chuckle- the International Book of [apparently a word that isn't allowed here] by Nicholas Lodge is the one I have, but I only have one of the volumes- I might have to look at the other two. I think maybe I have the second or third one and I love it but at times I feel like maybe I should have the first because I am missing bits of info. I will check out Debbie Browns books too. Thank you!

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 11

I would get Romantic Wedding Cakes by Kerry Vincent. I've got a scanned copy of it and it's amazing.

sweetcakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #6 of 11

and any Debbie Brown books if you want to make fondant people. even her naughty books, you can always dress them!! LOL

cheatize Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #7 of 11

Get more books for your spending money- check half.com. I got half a dozen or so on there and they are all in new shape. I love the Debbie Brown books and I'm hoping to get a Lindsay whatshername (Smith?) book soon. I got 6 Debbie Brown books and the Cake Bible for under a hundred bucks, including shipping.

Okay, that's not what you asked. icon_smile.gif I like Debbie Brown's books. There's always Whimsical Cakehouse, too.

cupcake_cutie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:59am
post #8 of 11

Not to be repetitive, but I just wanted to agree with ramie7224 about the Cake Love book. I just rented it from the library and it is definitely on my need to get list. I also just purchased the Planet Cake book and there is soo much good information in it. I can't wait to try some of the techniques. So, I would definitely suggest those two.

ramie7224, which recipes are your absolute favorite? He has so many I don't know where to start. lol icon_smile.gif

devorie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:18am
post #9 of 11

I second Cheatize on the Whimsical Bakehouse. I would also spring for Julia Child & Dorie Greenspan's Baking with Julia.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:51am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccl1-12

ramie7224- I have more recipes than I will ever be able to try, not to mention there is always the internet. Probably more technique is what I am needing. Also I think I have the Cake Bible but I have not heard of Cake Love. I'll have to take a look at that- thanks!

allaboutcakeuk- have to chuckle- the International Book of [apparently a word that isn't allowed here] by Nicholas Lodge is the one I have, but I only have one of the volumes- I might have to look at the other two. I think maybe I have the second or third one and I love it but at times I feel like maybe I should have the first because I am missing bits of info. I will check out Debbie Browns books too. Thank you!

Ha. Wondered why that word dud not appear! Is the cake love book American? I may have to purchase from your recommendation

brincess_b Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:19am
post #11 of 11

also if your into sugar flowers, any of alan dunns books are good.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%