Colored Or Airbrushed Buttercream

Decorating By madgab Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm by sweetcakes

madgab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgab Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 7

Why are my cakes after they sit overnight, get like little tiny droplets all over cake. I use 4 extracts, salt,milk in recipe. Is it my airbrush?

6 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #2 of 7

Are they in the fridge and they get the condensation when you pull them out? If not, maybe it is your buttercream. Do you use a crusting buttercream recipe? Finally, I have been known to overspray with my airbrush without giving time for the layers of spray to dry, which causes droplets, but usually they are instant when I put too much color on, and I have only airbrushed fondant. Just a couple thoughts- I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but there's a couple possibilities.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 7

i agree, did you put the cake in the fridge over night, or store it a sealed space, like a cake carrier? the condensation caused the ab color to bead up. you can do one or the other, airbrush and leave at room temp, or chill and not airbrush, until its back at room temp.

madgab Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 7

I haven't put them in fridge. They sit out. Yes, I use a crusting buttercream and use the viva paper towel. It just has me puzzled.
Thanks so much!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 7

Are your cakes in a sealed cake saver (plastic or glass)?

madgab Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

I have them in bakery box only.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 7

ok, so its not condensation from the fridge or being sealed. My last thought is applying too much airbrush colour, that can also cause it to bead up. Was the colour intense that you was spraying or just a light coat, if its a light coat then im now out of ideas. sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%