Rkt 3 Tier Wedding Cake Request

Decorating By redheadfairy2003 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm by redheadfairy2003

redheadfairy2003 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride that would like a 6,8 and 12 inch RKT wedding cake .Each tier will be 4 inches high with ribbon around the bottom. Has anyone done a cake like this ? How did you price ? Any info on this would be awesome !

Thank you !

6 replies
antonia74 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:09am
post #2 of 7

I've seen a few, but never done one myself. Just thought I'd send you a CC link that has info and a really nice pic + the RKT website how-to.....

redheadfairy2003 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:09am
post #3 of 7

BlakesCakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

Someone talked about a cake like this awhile back.....................

You could just mold the RKTs in the appropriately sized pans. Lining them with parchment could help extraction. They'd need several hours to set up properly. Stack & apply ribbon. I can't see any need for supports unless they're going to be fully covered with fondant or buttercream. Boards would be necessary to make serving easier.

RKTs can be expensive because the price of the ingredients fluctuate wildly, but there's not a lot of time and labor involved here. It has just enough PIA factor, I'd suggest pricing it high enough to make it worth your while...........

All of this said, unless it's covered with something, it won't be pretty, it won't photograph well, it will be hard to serve, and it's really unkind to the wedding guests (and after the cake cutting, the cake is the guests' dessert). RKTs are NOT loved by all.........Sort of selfish on the part of the B&G, IMHO.

FlourPots Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7

Check out this thread to see a tiered RKT cake made by mommy_of_3_DDs: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=600889&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

she posted tips and her slightly altered recipe, which I've tried...it's delicious!

DetailsByDawn Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #6 of 7

I just wanted to add that you really should, please, support it just as you would a cake. RKT spreads with weight on it and will pull your fondant apart. With the proper support, it will stay put! I agree that I would price high though - this is a last minute cake. RKT will not remain fresh and chewy for longer than a couple of days at most, even under fondant.

redheadfairy2003 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much for your info.

It will not be covered with anything.... Just a ribbon around bottom and she wants silk flowers.

I will also be doing a grooms cake ( real cake lol ) so that will help ... The grooms mother is getting a cake of some sorts .... As she does not like RKT and the bride told her about me but said she has her own plans... The bride has no idea what she is going to do....

Going to take alook at the link..

Again thanks for the info and if any one else as any thoughts let me know ....

Quote by @%username% on %date%