My Week For Not Knowing How Do Do The Cakes People Want...we

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm by mookamoo

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 18

CCrsI was thinking of referring her to someone else for this cake..I want it to be perfect for her because it is a wedding cake. It would be my first wedding cake and her cake date is April 29 2011. So I do have plenty of time to practice and figure out how to do it. I would love all and any advice. Thank you.

Good Afternoon! My name is ------ -------- and I am currently planning a wedding for Friday, April 29, 2011. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions about a cake I was looking at. The picture is posted at the bottom of the page. I am looking at about 200 guests. My wedding color is sort of an aqua marine/ bright turquoise color.. and I like the white applique look of the middle of the cake... the gold border not so much, but I was wondering if you could give me a price on a cake for 200 guests (even if it was only two layers) with this style?

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gifdunce.gifdetective.gif
LL

17 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 18

The white appliques she is reffering to are done using a technique called brush embroidery. It really isn't too hard to accomplish and you could totally do it with a little practice. Here is a link showing how to do it.

http://www.cookiedecorator.com/showthread.php?227-Brush-Embroidery-Tutorial-(picture-heavy)

This cake appears to be a buttercream cake with brush embroidery lace. The bride says she doesn't love the bottom border so maybe just a simple bead or reverse shell border would work.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 18

I think it's beautiful. I'd encourage you to practice the technique and do her cake. That's the motivation you will need to learn something new. Otherwise, would you take on a project like this on your own?? I probably would not. Go for it.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 18

How easy would it be to do brush embroidery on buttercream? I'd be worried that I'd dent the icing...isn't it better on fondant?

mookamoo Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 18

Wow thanks...I could tell her that i can only do it on fondant because fear the buttercream would smear. I would love to learn this but i looks hard ...I have never tried it though. Makes me want a stencil...yikes..a year is a long time though ...i wonder if I could find a class to teach this..
It is a beautiful cake

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 18

Wow!

Iv'e never seen this technique before!!! I can't wait to try it out! Thanks cake-angel, even though I am not the one who asked the question!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 18

They taught it one of the old Wilton classes. That's where I learned it, it really isn't hard at all, and is a wonderful effect. Just wish I had reason to use it.

With a little practice you can do it. thumbs_up.gif

mookamoo Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 18

does anyone know how long it takes or difficulty level...I am trying to figure out a price to tell her

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 18

I just saw the tutorial and that seems really simple! I think i'll try it myself icon_smile.gif I think you should go for it!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 18

ohhh...brush embroidery is soo much fun! icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, it's easy. and if you use the crusting bc recipe here on CC you don't dent the frosting underneath at all. it's a very delicate but easy technique!

mookamoo Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 18

ok im going to go for it ...how much would you add to your base price for this type of design?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 18

It's really one of those techniques that looks much harder than it is. Major wow factor, though, from those not in the know. You have so much time to practice, I'd go for it. I don't remember in which course it's taught in the Wilton classes but I seem to remember being very much a beginner when I learned it.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 18

Here a picture of brushed embroidery on buttercream. If you let the buttercream crust before piping on it, it doesn't smear. It really is not hard to do.
LL

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 18

I've done it on crusting bc without any problem! Looks so elegant. Very easy! I taught myself after reading about it in a cake magazine. You need to lightly imprint your pattern on the bc. Fondant is not a requirement for brushed embroidary.

Just practice on a dummy. You'll get it down in no time. Check You Tube for a tutorial.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #15 of 18

It really is quite easy to do and works just fine on a crusting buttercream. It used to be taught in Wilton's Course 3 but sadly isn't part of the new curriculum.

MzPinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzPinkie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 18

You should totally go for it!!! What's the use of being in a creative position if not to push yourself to try new techniques? A little piping skill and a small paint brush, you are good to go. Have faith in yourself and your skills.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookamoo

CCrsI was thinking of referring her to someone else for this cake..I want it to be perfect for her because it is a wedding cake. It would be my first wedding cake and her cake date is April 29 2011. So I do have plenty of time to practice and figure out how to do it. I would love all and any advice. Thank you.

Good Afternoon! My name is ------ -------- and I am currently planning a wedding for Friday, April 29, 2011. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions about a cake I was looking at. The picture is posted at the bottom of the page. I am looking at about 200 guests. My wedding color is sort of an aqua marine/ bright turquoise color.. and I like the white applique look of the middle of the cake... the gold border not so much, but I was wondering if you could give me a price on a cake for 200 guests (even if it was only two layers) with this style?

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gifdunce.gifdetective.gif

Hi there I have just finished my PME royal icing and piping course and we covered brush embroidery (on royal iced cake and using it on fondant and plaques). I take a small amount of royal icing and add a little piping jelly to it - it makes it brush in a bit easier. Make sure you have a really good quality brush - nylon isn't good enough but pure sable works well. The design seems quite small so you wont need to pipe a large outer line. Pipe a line of icing round the outline of the design. Always work on the area furthest away from you - i.e. the part of the flower say at the top petal so you don't mess up the rest as you work. Make sure your paint brush is damp, not soaking or it will water the icing down too much, and just use gentle strokes working from the outside to the centre. If you find you don't have enough icing to stroke inwards then pipe the icing with a thicker tube or put another line on top of the first. I found the best was was to make some cut out plaques of pastillage and trace a design on it and practice on those first.
The cake is lovely and brush embroidery is really effective
hope this is of some help icon_biggrin.gif

mookamoo Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you cc'rs so much I am scared but have plenty of time to get this skill. I know pricing is a subject that is hard but any tips??? If not thats ok too. I understand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%