post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

HAS SHE SEEN YOUR CAKES?? They ARE art.

oooooh! good one!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:42am
post #32 of 38

Thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif I'm trying to distance myself, but DH isn't making it easy on me. (Silly man.) We tend to do things as couples, but he really likes hanging out with the guy. I'm trying to get him to understand that he can still be friends with him, but that I'm not in the mood to even be around her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I am sorry you have to go through that..

I have family members who are like that too. It drives me crazy. The solution.. you either grin and bear it or cut and run.

I just cut them off. I dont need that kind of negativity in my life. I would rather just tell my good news to my dog who responds with a bark and a wag..aka.. way to go mommy!! icon_biggrin.gif

and just so you know.. I AM HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR NEW BUSINESS!!!

and one other little rant..it has been bugging the crap out of me.. your friends comment about you never bringing up art.. HAS SHE SEEN YOUR CAKES?? They ARE art.

Thank you!! In the email I sent (that she either hasn't read or she has ignored), I explained that part of the reason I talk about my cakes is because that's my way of bringing up art.

Won't know if she understands that if she doesn't read the damned email. :/ But heck, why do I have to DRAG IT OUT OF HER? If she's so proud of her art, she should be shouting about it.

I guess I just don't get it.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #33 of 38

As far as your DH wanting to still be friends with him, guys just are different when it comes to being friends. Women are caty. Sometimes people just loose site of what a friend is. Its supposed to be unconditional.
You know what will happen? One time when you are hanging out with the other couple, your DH will overhear one of her snide comments, and all of a sudden, he'll jump into protective mode, and he will get it. Its just a matter of time. Hang in there. Please don't let her insecurities, or jealous remarks come between you and your DH. Maybe thats her evil plan? I have two dogs, and they are my best friends. (like one of the other posters mentioned) Unconditional love, non judgemental, and always there for me. I'm disabled, and I don't know what I would do without my little friends. I know, get a dog!

emrldsky Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

As far as your DH wanting to still be friends with him, guys just are different when it comes to being friends. Women are caty. Sometimes people just loose site of what a friend is. Its supposed to be unconditional.
You know what will happen? One time when you are hanging out with the other couple, your DH will overhear one of her snide comments, and all of a sudden, he'll jump into protective mode, and he will get it. Its just a matter of time. Hang in there. Please don't let her insecurities, or jealous remarks come between you and your DH. Maybe thats her evil plan? I have two dogs, and they are my best friends. (like one of the other posters mentioned) Unconditional love, non judgemental, and always there for me. I'm disabled, and I don't know what I would do without my little friends. I know, get a dog!

I hear you. I think there's just a lot of hurt feelings on both sides. I'm hurt because she dumped on me when I really needed a friend to share my happiness, and she's hurt because I should have considered her for the logo (esp. since she could use the money and she could use her artwork).

But the biggest issue is that she doesn't talk about her art. We spent some time around them tonight, helping another friend, and it was the most she ever talked about art on her end. We talked about sketching, and how she likes to sketch out natural things while I prefer more linear shapes (I'm a technical person, so it kind of makes sense).

I'm not sure if we'll ever be close again, because I've already started reverting back into my shell. DH doesn't get it, but he's kind of a pushover. Ok, I love him, but I'm the only person he'll stand up to. icon_wink.gif Not sure how that works, lol.

As for him standing up for me...pfffffftttttttt.....that's one of our biggest issues. I don't want to get into the entire thing, but let's just say the one time I really needed him to do it, he failed big time. We argued for days (ok, really...I yelled at him). Never really got resolved other than he can't expect me to ever sit there and take that kind of treatment from his friends again (different people) and if he wanted to keep peace (i.e., me to behave myself), he needed to keep them away from me. icon_wink.gif

I don't often let loose on someone in anger, but when I do....ooooey! Watch out. This little gal has bite! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm just going through the motions of keeping my distance, because I'm just not ready to open myself up to that kind of hurt again. I could be the best friend she'll ever have, but I won't be her punching bag. Friendships go both ways, good and bad, thick and thin. My heart isn't built to deal with a one-sided friendship.

emrldsky Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm
post #35 of 38

Ok, I think this will be my last update on this. icon_smile.gif

She read the email yesterday (apparently she doesn't check it often), and then she felt blindsided by me. But we talked about some things and I think we need to really sit down, in person, and just hash it out.

We both have reasons for feeling hurt in the entire situation (specifically about the logo), but we're past that now.

The biggest thing we need to work on is realizing that when we have something we want to say to the other person; we need to say it before it becomes something bigger. We're so used to our SOs and how they react to things that we tend to treat others that way. But we're so much alike that it'd be easier to drop those guards and let it go, and to be honest (brutally, in some cases).

So, all in all, if we're going to try to make this friendship work, we need to treat each other like another significant other when it comes to communication. I take part of the blame in that because I don't open myself up to people, especially other women, when it comes to meaningful friendships (she did call me on that). I explained to her that I have always been hurt after opening myself up to a female friendship, and that has been the way the cookie crumbled my entire life.

Anyway, I think some space and time will get us both over this hump, but the journey is just starting. I really don't think they realize how negative they've been with their comments, so I'm going to make a point in saying something about that. You can't keep any relationship going when miscommunication rules.

Time to clear the air and start fresh.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #36 of 38

I'm so glad you talked. ((hugs))

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

So, DH and I are close friends with another couple, and we spend a lot of time together, hanging out, etc. But lately I've noticed that whenever DH and I share good news that we're excited about, one or both of them will reply in some manner such ask, "Well, at least you have ___."

Well, today really just knocked me on my rear. I was sharing my new business logo with her and after 5 minutes of her typing in the chat window, she goes on about how it really hurts her that I rub her face in my success, and that if I had spent 2 seconds thinking about her I would have realized that she could have done it, yadda yadda. I was floored. I mean, I sat at my desk, at work, BAWLING my eyes out, because I hadn't realized I was hurting my friend.
icon_confused.gif Your furting yo9ur friend ???
No No No, your not hurting your friend, you have been doing what good friends do - sharing your good/happy news with each other.
If they can't be happy for you and understand that you have goals and plans to get ahead in life then thats not your fault - thats just a sad lack of understanding on their behalf.
Don't shy away and feel bad, nothing comes free in this life - tell her to suck it up and that you work hard for what you gain and that if she can't/won't see that - then she will always be in that *what about me* state of mind.
Honstly - the *woe is me* people of the world will never be happy until everyone else around them is just as woe as them.

Stand straight - stand tall and be proud of what you are achieving -
Wipe your tears away otherwise her *woe* will drag you down even further than what it already has.
So wipe your tears away - skip into tomorrow with a smile on your face
-
Good grief, people like her are two a penny - you on the other hand are one in a million... icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue
- she is I mean, not intentionally, of course.

But now this has me thinking about past situations. When DH and I bought our house, and we complained about not finding one we liked with a basement, their response was, "At least you can afford a house." We got our first-time home buyer's tax credit and were looking at new dishwashers (ours wasn't working right), and they said, "At least you have a dishwasher." I mean, how are we supposed to take it?

As for talking to them about this, no way! They (specifically she) has no problem bringing up when we've done something, but anytime we've even approached this subject with them, it always gets turned around back on us about how we have so much.

I'm seriously considering slowly distancing myself from them. Just thinking about this whole situation has me nearly throwing up and crying (again).

If I were a heartless person, I'd brush it off, but I'm not so I can't. I just feel like things are a bit one-sided. i(

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm
post #38 of 38

Thread locked at OP's request.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%