When Making Cutouts Out Of Fondant? And A Few ?'s

Decorating By bluerose26 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm by bluerose26

bluerose26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluerose26 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

I planning on making butterfly cutouts and letter cutouts for my daughters cake? like this cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1744605

To get the letters stiff and to stay on the cake, do i have to mix the fondant with gumpaste?

Also is there a simple recipe for gumpaste or do i have to buy it?

What are the little balls on the doors and windows look like their made of?

And are the doors and windows painted or are they purple buttercream?

5 replies
babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 6

hi there, i usually just make all my cutouts out of fondant and i just let it dry out, say 1 week, as for the doors and windows, it looks like they are also fondant, but i wouldnt let those dry out too long and they will need to form to the curvature of the cake, and the little balls look like they are coloured dragees hth!!

baby

Boop62054 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boop62054 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 6

For the letters, I'd just use fondant and cut the letters out.
The little balls are dragees and they are sold in multi pastel colors-they are edible hard little candies
I'd just use purple buttercream for the doors and windows...of course, smoothed down.

Hope this helps.
Susan

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 6

me again!! lol just a quick little note, be carefull with dragess, some are considered as non edible!!

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 6

The doors and window look like they are cutouts of fondant outlined with a star tip. The balls on the window and doors are dragees. You can buy them online or at a supply store.
You can mix your fondant with gumpaste if you want or you just will have to wait longer for them to dry. You could also mix in tylose if you have any of that around. As far as a recipe for gumpaste, look in the recipe section on CC and you will find something.
Good luck!

bluerose26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluerose26 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose26

I planning on making butterfly cutouts and letter cutouts for my daughters cake? like this cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1744605

To get the letters stiff and to stay on the cake, do i have to mix the fondant with gumpaste?

Also is there a simple recipe for gumpaste or do i have to buy it?

What are the little balls on the doors and windows look like their made of?

And are the doors and windows painted or are they purple buttercream?

My photo was deleted so heres a weblink with a photo of the cake i want to make http://iwannaanacake.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/100_1686.131214900.JPG

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%