Cake Board Idea

Decorating By Cakegirl313 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm by BlakesCakes

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 7

Okay so here is my delima. I am making a half sheet cake for a birthday. The lady I usually get my cake board and boxes from only had a full sheet box and board. So that is what I got. The cake is for my niece and really i'm making it so I can get a little more practice too. So now I need to come up with a way to decorate the board. The cake is going to be a yellow and pink zebra print cake with a martini glass on top. Thanks for all your ideas.

6 replies
karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 7

What about writing "Happy Birthday ________" in fondant letter cutouts on the board? It will take up a fair amount of space, not be too time consuming, and not be too difficult.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

I'd cut the board down to the size I need.

I really dislike the look of huge boards with small cakes on them, no matter how the board is decorated.

I rarely ever make a board more than 2" (on each side) larger than the cake.

As far as the box, if you put a piece of no-skid shelf liner in the bottom, you could put a petit four in it and it wouldn't slide around. It'd be fine.

Rae

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

I would cut it down, also and I always use the non-skid shelf liner, too. Wrap in fancifoil or fondant.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 7

Agree with BlakesCakes. I would cut the board down to the size needed. I usually like to leave my boards about 2" larger than the cake all the way around. I cover the board with fondant and put a piece of ribbon around the edge.

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips. I have actually thought about cutting it down but I wasn't sure how hard it would be since it is really a cake drum and not a regular cake board. Forgot to mention that.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 7

Ah, if it's a cake drum, you should be able to saw thru it. A good serrated knife should do the job.

To make a clean cut, put some painter's tape down and mark your cut line on that. Cut thru it and then remove the pieces of tape.

You'll need to re-cover the drum with some decorative foil or wrapping paper to hide the raw edges.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%