Gumpaste Help

Decorating By Cakegirl313 Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 10:40am by Texas_Rose

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 4

Okay so here I am working with gumpaste for the second time. I am trying to make a martini glass for a 21st birthday cake. I need some help. How do I get the gumpaste to keep its shape and dry. I still have it in the martini glass right now to hold its shape but i'm worried it won't dry out and if it does it will crack when I try to take it out. I have coated the inside of the glass with shortening. Also a second question. How do I get a new piece of gumpaste to stick to a dried piece. I am making the top of the martini glass first and then I need to attach the steam to it later and i'm worried about it not sticking. Thanks for all your help.

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 4

Well, if you corn starch your glass well, the dried gumpaste should come right out, Just leave it in the glass until it dries. As are as sticking the stem to the glass part, just use either alittle royal icing Or you could get away with some white chocolate.

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:02am
post #3 of 4

Hi there, what I did when I made a gumpast model was to add a teaspoon of gum tagacranth to the past, kneed it well and then use, the shoe set very hard, hop this helps.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:40am
post #4 of 4

It should get dry enough to take out after a day or so. The part that's against the glass may still be soft and might have to dry upside down (ball up some plastic wrap and dust it with cornstarch to support it while upside down).

To glue wet gumpaste to dry gumpaste, mix a little tylose and some water. The white chocolate that Peg suggested will work well too as long as it's not too hot where you are.

I would put some support in the stem, form it around a wood skewer or dowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%