Decorating By cutthecake Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 12:38am by leah_s

cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 13

Which do you prefer? Or something else?

12 replies
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 13

Magic Line. There's no comparison.

Well, FD is a cute name. That's it for me.

See also http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-689108-.html

cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 13

What do you like about the Magic Line Pans? What don't you like about Fat Daddio?
I've been using 33 year-old angle-sided pans since our wedding day, and only recently realized the sides weren't straight. THAT sure explains a lot. (I bet some of the spices in my cabinet are that old, too. I NEVER used the marjoram.) Time to re-stock the kitchen!
Thanks for your input.

leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 13

Magic LIne - straight, square sides. heavy gauge metal that heats evenly, doesn't ding. Really the "gold standard" in the biz.

FD - is easy to clean because it has a super slick finish. In my experience the cakes just don't bake quite right because of that super slick finish. Also, the owner of FD came on here a while back and stated that you should not bake above about 300 in them. So, if you have a mixture of brands, you need to remember to bake the FD at perhaps a different temp. PITA

artscallion Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

(I bet some of the spices in my cabinet are that old, too. I NEVER used the marjoram.) Time to re-stock the kitchen!

If you restock your herbs, don't be afraid of marjoram! It's in the oregano family...just a milder, sweeter version. I use it in place of oregano all the time because oregano is stronger than I like. Great on meats, vegetables, Italian food. And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks, leah_s and artscallion!

Looks like I'll be buying some new ML pans soon.

I'm Italian, and I am only allowed to use oregano, garlic and onion--no substitutes! It's the law.

langranny Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 13

Magic Line by a mile. My round pans are Wilton (except for the 7" which is ML) but all the square ones are ML. Just don't put them in the dishwasher!!

sweettoothmom1 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 13

ehem. bummer! i just purchased 4 squares! all fat daddio

apetricek Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 13

I agree with the others Magic Line all the way...I have a few Daddios. Honestly I HATE how they bake. I tried everything to make them work. They always dry my cake out, and the edges get too over done for my liking. I have tried everything from lower temp, to altering my cake recipe...to me too much extra time and effort for a cake pan! The magic line are AWESOME, in fact I am slowly replacing my wilton ones with them. It is amazing how nice they bake and how even. The cakes come out great and stay moist.

sweettoothmom1 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

I agree with the others Magic Line all the way...It is amazing how nice they bake and how even. The cakes come out great and stay moist.

Wow, now thats some testimonial. i never realized, but ur right, my FDaddios do have crisp edges.

langranny Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 13

Does anyone own or has used the 16" ML 1/2 round pan? I have a wedding cake next month and need a 16" tier. I don't have a 16" pan and was thinking about just getting the half pan. It's about the same price and looks like it would be easier to level, handle and stack.

hollyml Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 13

I've wondered about this too, but you know, I've never had any problems with the FD pans I own (and this is the first time I've ever heard about a 300 degree limit -- I almost always bake at higher temps than that). And the ML not being dishwasher safe is enough for me to never buy one. Seriously, I'd rather have easy cleanup than less-done edges! (I often do a carved or 2D shape cakes so I'm cutting edges off anyway! And while the edges may be a bit overbaked compared to the center, they've never been crisp.)

Plus, the FD are the ones carried by my local cake decorating shop. I rarely plan a cake far enough in advance to buy a new size anywhere else. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #13 of 13

[quote="langranny"]Does anyone own or has used the 16" ML 1/2 round pan? I have a wedding cake next month and need a 16" tier. I don't have a 16" pan and was thinking about just getting the half pan. It's about the same price and looks like it would be easier to level, handle and stack.[/quote]

I have the 18"(not 16") half round and am very happy with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%