Help Please! Fondant Dots On Buttercream...

Decorating By KristinH2219 Updated 25 Jun 2015 , 1:42pm by anavillatoro1

KristinH2219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristinH2219 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 18

I am a hobby baker, and am making a buttercream cake for my niece. She wants fondant polka dots on it...Im not sure how to make the dots stick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank You icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 18

I would just use a little buttercream to stick them on.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 18

If you work fast BEFORE the bc crusts, you can just slap 'em on there!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 18

A little water on the back, just enough to see that it;s moistened; too much will soften the fondant and make the coloe bleed on to your icing.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 18

All is good advice from fellow posters, add a dap of water or a little buttercream or as one said you need nothing if the buttercream is fresh, just put them on. Happy Cake Decorating icon_wink.gif

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 18

I've used a little water or even a little vanilla extract to attach.

KristinH2219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristinH2219 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you all so much! I thought buttercream or water may be the answer, but wanted some professional advice. You ladies are the best!!!!

Babasuesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babasuesue Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 18

Please tell me how to keep my fondant dots from sliding down the sides of my buttercream iced cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 18

Water, vanilla, piping gel or corn syrup are some things I have used to attach fondant to buttercream.

If they are sliding you may have gotten the back too wet.

Babasuesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babasuesue Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks, that might be my problem. Maybe they are too thick and my icing is too
moist????? I won't do this again!! The cake has got to travel 20miles, can't imagine what it's going to look like when I get it to the party!!!

gigiofknb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiofknb Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #11 of 18

I just got done with a wedding cake that was buttercream and fondant dots. I used piping gel and it worked GREAT. Didn't lose one on the 30 mile drive and the set up.

ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:30am
post #12 of 18

Something that helps with time is to dampen a paper towel with water, place your dots on it while you're working, and peel them off and stick to the cake. It keeps you from having to wet the backs of every single one individually. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:44am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babasuesue

Please tell me how to keep my fondant dots from sliding down the sides of my buttercream iced cake.

I always make sure my cake is cold and the buttercream is hard before applying decor. A little moisture goes a LONG way with fondant and using too much and perhaps placing them on soft crusted BC could be your problem. I use a llittle BC too on the back as well. I like the idea of placing things on a moist towel. I may try that next.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:24am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyisawesome

Something that helps with time is to dampen a paper towel with water, place your dots on it while you're working, and peel them off and stick to the cake. It keeps you from having to wet the backs of every single one individually. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Great tip thumbs_up.gif

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 2:05am
post #15 of 18

Can someone please tell me if I can refrigerate a cake whit crusting buttercream and fondant dots? Thanks in advance!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 18

Yes, but if the dots are a dark colour, the colour may bleed onto the buttercream a bit.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 6:14pm
post #17 of 18

I use SMBC and cold out of the fridge the dots just stick without having to do anything to them and they stay put but I've never had an extreme heat thing outside with a cake like that.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 1:42pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you so much!! I tink iam goin to wait until the las minute to apply the fondant dots thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%