It's Still Standing:)

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 6

I really thought when I woke up this morning I'd be posting in cake disasters. Yesterday I did a trial run with my Choco-Pan, because I want to use it on a wedding cake in september. I prefer the ganache under fondant but I was being lazy and had buttercream already made, so I went ahead and used it. NOT A GOOD idea. The frosting was too mushy and the weight of the bow has caused some sagging at the bottom. Also I didn't dampen the buttercream enough and my fondant didn't stick very well. Thank goodness it's a busy cake. It's probably my worst fondant cake to date but I attribute that to heat and the fact that I'm trying a totally new fondant. The fondant is soft but I do like it. The taste is yummy and the fondant is a bit more forgiving but very tempramental with heat and cold.

The cake is for my sisters bday. It's a surprise and I'm going to take it up to her work. I'm so glad it's still standing. I really thought the fondant would have all slid down by now.

The design is a copy from a display cake at Hobby Lobby, I have to assume it is from an old Wilton yearbook. Also I think it would have been cuter in a pale pink or white fondant underneath instead of ivory but I needed to test my choco-pan and all I have is ivory. Anyway, I'm just thrilled it's OK. I hope it makes it through delivery.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1748020

5 replies
RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

It's a beautiful cake. I like the colors.

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Rubi,
I delivered it to her work and she works with all women. It was like a swarmicon_smile.gif One of the women asked "how did you make your fondant taste good?" I told her you have to buy the good stufficon_smile.gif She had only had Wilton. The cake was a hit. I still see every flaw but I learned a lot. I think I'm going to need more practice with the Choco-pan before September though.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 6

Cute cake! My OH was walking past when I opened the photo and he said "Hey, that's a nice looking cake!" icon_smile.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 6

Very nice, love your ribbon roses! Any tips? Mine look so tight.

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys, I know we all see our own faults more than other people see then.
For the ribbon roses I used the pasta attachment on my kitchen aid to a 3, then I folded the ribbon in half and just bunched and turn, bunch and turn, ,sadly I'm not sure how to explain that. I do kind of squeeze it at the bottom, maybe that's what helps them open up.

If you go here, http://www.satinfinefoods.com/how.htm Coltte Peters does a great demo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%