Edible Image Cupcake Toppers

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 9

Hi guys

Ive just bought a canon printer and edible inks which seems to come with online software- basically i just wanted a little feedback on how these printers work -

im not great with computers and am worried that im going to waste loads of sheets by not being able to resize and space any images properly - for anyone who uses these, are the softwares usually pretty straightforward - so they have templates so you insert your images and they help to space them out?

Im excited for it to come but worried me and my little laptop wont be able to handle it!

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 9

The programs are pretty straight forward and line up for the most part. However, I always print on paper first and lay it on top of the frosting sheet to make sure it lines up before wasting a sheet. I use "Edible Artist" which can be downloaded for free off the internet.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 9

I actually use microsoft publisher. But always print it first on regular paper for a couple of reasons:

1. to make sure it fits
2. to make sure it is the shade you want and that the inks are working well
3. too double check on the size (what looks good on the computer, doesn't always look good once printed.

But I think any program that you can adjust your images, should work. Measure the margins on the frosting sheet and plug that into your page setup.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 9

Do you need a special printer for this?

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 9

you need a printer that has never been used and that you can replace the cartridges with ones filled with edible ink (food coloring). If you do a search here on CC, you will find more info about the printers, etc.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you for the help icon_biggrin.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 9

Cathy, dont be afraid of it at all. 11 years ago, me and my little laptop started doing images and now I own Icing Images! Print on regular paper first and match it up to the icing sheet to make sure everything lines up fine. This way you dont waste your icing sheets!

Cathy26 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 9

Hey guys, only getting to update you now! It works AMAZING!!!! the software is the edible artist which was free with the canon printer from the UK site Deco. got my inks and papers there too and got my cupcake toppers, large top cake logo and a few examples for my shop window all done on the first go!! only wasted 2 pages!

im absoltly amazed at how easy and fun it is even to do stuff like put text over pictures, etc - its definitly money well spent and i have a lovely corporate logo bit on my website now so hopefully it'l pay for itself soon icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the confidence and advice, so pleased with my new toy! now for an airbrush and between my agbay, printer and that i'd be complete!

Cathy26 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 9

Hey guys, only getting to update you now! It works AMAZING!!!! the software is the edible artist which was free with the canon printer from the UK site Deco. got my inks and papers there too and got my cupcake toppers, large top cake logo and a few examples for my shop window all done on the first go!! only wasted 2 pages!

im absoltly amazed at how easy and fun it is even to do stuff like put text over pictures, etc - its definitly money well spent and i have a lovely corporate logo bit on my website now so hopefully it'l pay for itself soon icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the confidence and advice, so pleased with my new toy! now for an airbrush and between my agbay, printer and that i'd be complete!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%