How To Attach A Satin Ribbon On A Cake????

Decorating By fefe88 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm by cakesbybert

fefe88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fefe88 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
My name is Federica and i'm italian,
sorry for the orrible english...
I would ask you...How to attach a satin ribbon on a Fondant Wedding Cake like in this photo?
LL

5 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 6

I wash my ribbon and lay it out to dry overnight. Ribbon spots really easy, so I lightly rub crisco over mine completely. This eliminates the grease spotting. Pull the ribbon around the cake and dot it on the back side with a dab of icing. The crisco and the dab of icing helps hold the ribbon in place.

fefe88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fefe88 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

I wash my ribbon and lay it out to dry overnight. Ribbon spots really easy, so I lightly rub crisco over mine completely. This eliminates the grease spotting. Pull the ribbon around the cake and dot it on the back side with a dab of icing. The crisco and the dab of icing helps hold the ribbon in place.

Here in Italy there isn't Crisco.
Alternative can i use butter or vegetable fat with royal icing?
Thank you!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 6

I put clear tape on the back of my ribbon, just one strip through the middle and then attach with dots of icing

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

I have never used anything other than Crisco. I am not sure what your vegetable fat is, but try on a small piece of your ribbon. The crisco will make the ribbon a little deeper in color. I would think as long as it didn't change the color you would be okay. I actually practiced on a small piece of my ribbon, before I started putting the ribbon on cakes.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 6

If the ribbon is going on a fondant covered cake there is no reason to grease the back side with Crisco or any other shortening. There is no spotting on the ribbon on fondant only when it is directly on buttercream. If the cake is round like the one in the picture you can just simply wrap the ribbon tightly around the cake and attach with dot of royal icing at the point where two ends meet, then cover with the bow. I have also very lightly misted a little water on the ribbon and it will stick to the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%