Tiers! Ahhh!

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm by DeezTreatz

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am a little confused about tiers, and I want to practice making a 3 tierd cake. I know I need dowels - however do the dowels get placed in the cake before or after I put the fondant on? And how do I get them out? lol

Just one more Q... If I did a Buttercream 3 tier cake - how do I stack them without making a mess of the icing? Do I decorate the cake once it is stacked? And how do you take the tiers apart to eat without a mess?

Thanks so much
Deez

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 6
Chibikuma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chibikuma Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 6

I'm about to make my first tiered cake as well. And seeing the two tutorial vidoes both covered in buttercream, I'm guessing it's the same with fondant? Also, should I have the 2nd tier stacked before I add decorations? (I'm making a 2 tier stone building cake) I'm just worried the fondant would become too hard and cracks when I put in the dowels (using bubble tea straws). Thanks

DeezTreatz Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #4 of 6

I believe it is the same with fondant, you can still measure and all that with it, since it will be covered, you won't see any flaws.

The fondant shouldn't crack when you put the dowels in, you should work with it right away though.. fondant can get stiff fast.

From watching the videos - Any buttercream decorations should be done after it is stacked. Unless your going to be stacking it at a hall - you'll have to decorate it there.. boo! lol

If your just using fondant - maybe circles, etc (you should be able to decorate before stacking) Ribbon and flowers etc, should be when its stacked..
I think it will be easier to decorate it all stacked.. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck! Post your cake when your done!!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:44am
post #5 of 6

I love when people "get it". Even more when they can pass it on!

DeezTreatz Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to you! lol icon_biggrin.gif

Going to make it next weekend! Wooot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%