2Hr Delivery.. Reccomend Someone Closer??

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm by catlharper

sweetcakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 9

I have someone interested in having me do their wedding and grooms cake, but its going to be a 2hr delivery one way, nearly a 200ml round trip. Should i price out her cakes anyway or tell her, before we meet what my delivery would be or recommend she find someone closer. I would try and help with that if i can. She's in my area on Friday and wants to meet. What would you do?

8 replies
catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:25am
post #2 of 9

I do this all the time..in fact, last weekend delivered a cake 300 round trip and this weekend coming up it's another 250 round trip. I do charge for delivery and it is an extra cost but some people think your work is worth it so go for it!

Cat

ps...I bought a Cake Safe to make it a whole lot less painful since I deliver to that area all the time.

KSue6101 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #3 of 9

Sorry, I'm new at cake decorating, but what is a cake safe?

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:50am
post #4 of 9

You can check out the website for more info...just the name plus .com

Cat

sweetcakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:05am
post #5 of 9

I have a cake safe too and this would be perfect to use here. Im just thinking that if i was the customer i would pick a bakery closer to the area.
All i can do is give them a quote and see if they want to pay it anyway.

artsycakes14 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:18am
post #6 of 9

Cat- How much do you charge for that kind of mileage?

Sweetcakes- definitely let her know the delivery cost flat out, but don't recommend to go somewhere else. If they want to pay it, let them. You are worth it!

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 9

I had one of these from a bride in South Bend, IN, which is 2.5 hours north of Indy. (Indiana Joke: South Bend is up north; North Vernon is down south; and French Lick ain't NUTHIN' like you think it is!)

Anyway ...... ! icon_biggrin.gif

I started the email response with "Before we set up an appt, let's look at what the cost would be and you can see how that fits in your budget....." I then gave her the cost for a 275 mile round trip PLUS the cost of the very customized cake she was looking for (I dont' charge for decorating detail but this one would have an extra Design Fee).

I concluded the email by asking her to evaluate these costs and if it still fit in with what she was willing to spend, to let me know and we'd set up an appt.

With almost $350 just in delivery costs, I guess she opted for somone closer.

But yeah ..... I'd get that info clear right up front before you spend one second on discussing cak design.

HaydenSC Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with indydeby. I would tell her before you set the appointment. If they are good with it, then that is great.
We get these quite often. If the "away" cake delivery is during a busy wedding time, I generally say no. I can usually recommend someone else closer to their place through ICES friends. If it is off season, then I will tell them before we set the appointment.
I know I can book another cake (maybe 2), closer to us, for more than they will be willing to pay for both the delivery and the cake during the busy wedding months.
To me, it doesn't make sense to deliver a cake somewhere a hundred miles or more away if you know you can book one close by. It is a matter of time and money. I could be spending that time with my family instead of traveling and working! icon_wink.gif

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 9

Because it's in the Bay Area and I always see my kids when I visit I only charge one way and thats 50 cents a mile for anything past the 25 miles I give for free. So with the one I did last weekened I charged for the 125 miles or 62.50 (btw, this covered my gas there and back) and they didn't bat an eye.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%