How To Put Wires Into Gumpaste Petals Without Them Poking

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm by TexasSugar

-Tubbs Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 7

I'm about to start round three of my attempt to make gumpaste lilies. Yes, I know I should have bought them, and you can be sure that's what I'll be doing next time I have a request for gumpaste flowers. Nevertheless, I can't buy them locally, so have to get five of the "$%^(E#s done for a wedding this weekend.

Please, can someone tell me how to get thin petals, even when I have to insert a wire? I have 26 (?) gauge green wire, and I'm inserting it about 1.5" into the petal. Is that too far? When I lay the petal down to shape it for drying, the wire wants to poke through the gumpaste, which looks terrible. Should I make the petals thicker at that end?

Any tips welcome! Thanks.

6 replies
princesscris Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 7

Roll out the gumpaste so that the centre of the petal is thicker than the edges - I often leave a little ridge down the middle - not the whole way, just as far as you need to go. 1.5 inches sounds okay - depends on how long the petal is...

Hope that helps!
Cris.

-Tubbs Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:39am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Cris, that does help. So you roll each petal out individually? I have been rolling out a piece of gumpaste big enough to cut maybe 9 petals at once, then keeping them under plastic until I was ready to work with them. It's all so time-consuming!

brincess_b Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:09am
post #4 of 7

i guess you dont have the board for making flowers (a cel board in the uk) - it has ridges for the wires.
so you will need to roll it and leave the ridge your self in the middle, a bit trickier! so you will still be able to make the rest of the petal really thin.
i hold the petal between middle finger and thumb, by the ridge, then insert the wire, you should be able to feel if you get too close to poking out the petal.
i usually aim for 3/4 in for leaves, maybe a bit less for petals to allow the shapes... although i wonder id you could bend the wire then put it in the petal or if thats just making life too difficult!
good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

-Tubbs Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone! I've never heard of celboards or twiddling (!) - the book I have just shows pushing the wire into the petal. This is really helpful. Texas, thanks for those links. I love this site icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 7

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%