Nj Cake Makers?

Business By sugarandstuff Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm by EllieA

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #1 of 13

Hello - I am a long time at home baker, (Not selling) recently diving into cakes - a friend of mine gave my name to someone to bake a Hello Kitty cake for a Sweet 16 at a very nice resturant in town - I would LOVE to take the job..the problem is I do not feel I have enough experience at all to accept the job. As far as taste, I got it mastered, detail is coming along, but I'm not to perfect yet. Biggest obstacles.. I do not have anything in place as far as insurance, tax id's, etc. Will the restaurant want to see some sort of insurance from me, and on and on....
Long story short - if anyone is experienced in the Hunterdon County area, and handle this type of request, please let me know if you'd like me to refer them to you.
Also more than willing to take some advice on where in the world to start so I can legally take a smaller job when it comes my way. icon_cry.gif

12 replies
DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #2 of 13

I live in Somerset County - also recently getting "orders" for cakes. I checked out your pics - beautiful! I disagree with your statement about the "details coming along." I am VERY critical of myself as well, but I always get tons of compliments. I wouldn't worry too much about the restaurant questioning you. You could be a relative for all they know. I would say you will probably just deliver the cake no questions asked. It's not like you are a decorator climbing on ladders or anything so I doubt they will ask for insurance.

Whatever you decide - good luck! If you decide you do not want to do it maybe I could. Depends on what they want and when the party is!

icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #3 of 13

It is illegal to bake out of your home kitchen in NJ. Some halls and restaurants will ask to see insurance and tax ids but that is not the problem. If something goes wrong and you get sued, you can lose your house. Also, you can face heavy fines if you get caught. Get legal before you go any further.

DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 13

What are the proper steps to take?

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #5 of 13

I work in NYC (my kitchen is on 35th Street and Seventh Avenue - walking distance from Macy's) icon_biggrin.gif , but I live in Bergen County (Ft. Lee). Be brave. I can walk you through what you have to do and if you get a commercial kitchen (a restaurant, a church?), I'll help you do a great cake! Or you can come to NYC if you want to. Don't dispair. You can do it! icon_biggrin.gif Let me know and I'll be happy to help!

sugarandstuff Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

It is illegal to bake out of your home kitchen in NJ. Some halls and restaurants will ask to see insurance and tax ids but that is not the problem. If something goes wrong and you get sued, you can lose your house. Also, you can face heavy fines if you get caught. Get legal before you go any further.

Thanks for your advice, but if you reread my post I am very aware of everything you are stating - perhaps since you are in NJ as well you have some advice other than "Get legal before you go any further" I came here for advice, not a lecture.

sugarandstuff Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 13

Thanks guys for the feedback - I am currently trying to find a rental kitchen, but nothing as of yet. I know I also need insurance, a tax ID and a LLC set up - unfortunately without figuring out step 1 (kitchen), no use in moving on and up to this point, I've had zero luck finding a place to bake out of, It's just so frustrating. I let it stop me from doing what I love to do for the past 10 years and I just decided last month enough, I need to figure this out and DO IT! And then I get this call today and it so ticks me off to turn it down. GRRRR

Ellie - maybe I can come bake it in NY with you icon_smile.gif I work about 1/2 hour from NYC and am always up for a trip to Macy's in the city LOL

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 13

I haven't verified the info I was given recently, but I was told that there is a new law in NJ that no restaurant, hall, etc. are permitted to allow outside food in without a license from the baker. This info came from my husband's mentor who is licensed in Pa., but right on the NJ border. She has had to produce her license on a few deliveries so far. So just for that reason alone you may want to check to see if the place will allow you to bring in a cake.

EllieA, what a kind and generous offer. Hopefully you'll be able to help come to her rescue.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 13

sugarandstuff, I am not lecturing but you seem to want to take the job since you asked if the place will want to see insurance etc. So I was just informing you of the pitfalls. Do what you want, I am so tired on people on here lately jumping to conclusions and taking things the wrong way when people are just trying to be helpful. Get over it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 13

Not to mention that Hello Kitty is not able to be reproduced without copyright infringment as well, but I guess as long as you don't make the actual cat you'd be fine!

sugarandstuff Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Not to mention that Hello Kitty is not able to be reproduced without copyright infringment as well, but I guess as long as you don't make the actual cat you'd be fine!

agreed - that is probably why he can't find anyone to do it within a 100 mile radius..I referred him to a great baker in Warren County - not sure if she will do Hello Kitty though, but she's a great baker out of a licensed shop.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 13

Sugarandstuff - R U selling this cake? You know I respect everyone's opinions and thoughts on this site and this is the bottom line - you have to do what you feel most comfortable. I really don't believe the restaurant is going to ask you for a license or anything like that . . .now the licensing of the Hello Kitty character - that would be an issue I would worry about more if you are selling this cake.

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 13

My offer stands and I look forward to meeting you but for future orders, start making phone calls to SCORE, the Office of Economic Development - they usually have special assistance for Women and Minorities and they can direct you to a kitchen. NYC has (that's how I started - by renting hours at a commercial kitchen) many of those in every borough - MI KITCHEN es su KITCHEN (I don't remember if that is the correct name but if not, it's very similar), and so on. Just let me know and I'll look under the zillion papers I have in my office! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%