Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By michellejune Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm by au_decorator_76

michellejune Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #1 of 17

So if I were looking for a delicious chocolate buttercream would it be safe to say that Indydebi's recipe is a top choice altered to add the unsweetened chocolate or is there another fav?

16 replies
Darth_Aerdna Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 17

I use the one on the hersheys cocoa powder can. I think Ive read Indydebi herself say she uses it too!
You can also find it on the Hershey's website

michellejune Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 17

I was looking at the Hershey's one too, my only hesitation was that it has butter in it. Do I have to worry about using a recipe that calls for butter if I don't want to refrigerate the cake and it's for an outside event? I want to try to keep all the icing, fillings non perishable.

This is the recipe I usually use which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE and people rave about when I make it (seems very similar to Hershey's) But again.....Butter based...no crisco at all which worries me.

Chocolate Buttercream

1/2 cup butter, softened (you can use margarine but the flavor will not be the same)
2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 cup half-and-half cream (can use unwhipped whipping cream in place of half and half) or milk (can use unwhipped whipping cream in place of half and half)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for light)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for medium)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for dark rich)

karabeal Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:39am
post #4 of 17

When I have leftover regular buttercream to use, I just melt chocolate chips and mix them in. It it completely yummy (my kids eat it straight and say it tastes like fudge), super simple and uses up my leftovers!

chellescountrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #5 of 17

THANK YOU!! I"ve been searching forever trying to find if I could just put choclate in reg buttercream. icon_smile.gif

Do you know about how much you use? chips I mean? and do you use sweet or semi sweet?

And my birthday is on Nov 11th too! icon_smile.gif My mom said the only flowers the flower shops had were red white and blue carnations. LOL

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejune

So if I were looking for a delicious chocolate buttercream would it be safe to say that Indydebi's recipe is a top choice altered to add the unsweetened chocolate or is there another fav?

I prefer adding the chocolate to Indydebi's recipe because it has a darker color than others that I've tried and it also crust the same and is as easy to smooth as the original.

karabeal Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 17

Go Veterans' Day!!!

Honestly, I've only done this a few times, but once was a couple of weeks ago. I needed some brown for a sunflower center. I had the white & yellow frosting I'd used for the rest of the cake. I'd say that I melted a handful of chocolate chips (semi-sweet) and mixed that into maybe 2 cups of regular buttercream. I added it one spoonful at a time, but it seemed pretty foolproof. I'm usually a recipe girl and I don't like to fly by the seat of my pants, but this was so easy. Sorry I can't give better measurements. I'd say that if you just add the choc in small/moderate amounts you can't go wrong. It piped easily and was just really great.

karabeal Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:09am
post #8 of 17

To mamawrobin's point about the color, for my purpose I did end up adding a little bit of brown food coloring to get a deep brown color mixing the chocolate into the bc.

PDXSweetTreats Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:23am
post #9 of 17

Do you have access to any of Toba Garrett's books? (Perhaps a local library -- ?) She has a chocolate buttercream recipe that's out of this world! It starts with making a ganache, then making a buttercream using butter, hi-ratio shortening, Dutch processed cocoa powder and chocolate liqueur (among other things), and when you add the ganache and whip it together, it becomes this super-rich, mousse-like "heaven." (You might check the recipe section here to see if anyone has added this recipe.) HTH

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellescountrycakes

THANK YOU!! I"ve been searching forever trying to find if I could just put choclate in reg buttercream. icon_smile.gif

Do you know about how much you use? chips I mean? and do you use sweet or semi sweet? I use Baker's Unsweetened chocolate squares. 6 to 8 ounces melted and cooled but still pourable per batch of Indydebi's icing. You can add melted chocolate to your already prepared buttercream whatever recipe that you use. You will have to add extra milk when adding chocolate because the chocolate thickens the buttercream. I add only a teaspoon at a time so that I don't accidentally add too much liquid.

And my birthday is on Nov 11th too! icon_smile.gif My mom said the only flowers the flower shops had were red white and blue carnations. LOL

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

dawncr Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSweetTreats

Do you have access to any of Toba Garrett's books? (Perhaps a local library -- ?) She has a chocolate buttercream recipe that's out of this world! It starts with making a ganache, then making a buttercream using butter, hi-ratio shortening, Dutch processed cocoa powder and chocolate liqueur (among other things), and when you add the ganache and whip it together, it becomes this super-rich, mousse-like "heaven." (You might check the recipe section here to see if anyone has added this recipe.) HTH

Toba's recipe for chocolate buttercream is on epicurious dot com. If this link doesn't work, just search for chocolate buttercream or "The Well-Decorated Cake."

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Buttercream-109248

chellescountrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Do you know about how much you use? chips I mean? and do you use sweet or semi sweet? I use Baker's Unsweetened chocolate squares. 6 to 8 ounces melted and cooled but still pourable per batch of Indydebi's icing. You can add melted chocolate to your already prepared buttercream whatever recipe that you use. You will have to add extra milk when adding chocolate because the chocolate thickens the buttercream. I add only a teaspoon at a time so that I don't accidentally add too much liquid.

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

great! icon_smile.gif Thanks! I have to mix up sooo much fondant today that I really dont have time to make the BC, so I had to avoid making indidebs. I was just going to use my sams BC. I really need to get another mixer. I've even stopped doing the batter in mine, cause I'm scared I'm gonna blow it up. LOL I do large color batches and make my MMF.

Its a last minute cake, and I am just NOT running back to town (20 miles) I have chocolate chips here. LOL

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 17

[quote="chellescountrycakes"][quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:

Its a last minute cake, and I am just NOT running back to town (20 miles) I have chocolate chips here. LOL

I have used chocolate chips when it's all that I had. No problem they will work as well. I just like the unsweetened chocolate squares because I get a darker color and it doesn't add any more sugar to the icing.

I add chocolate to regular buttercream all the time. I never just make chocolate icing. I always have icing made up and I just add chocolate when needed. Like I said you'll have to add more milk...but just add teaspoon at a time till you 'get it right'.

Good luck with your cake. thumbs_up.gif I'm sure it's going to be great!

chellescountrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 17

Mamawrobin, what do you think about adding some instant pudding to the chocolate BC?

The sams icing seems to STAY buttercream tasting. with just a hint of chocolate. of course, I very seldom eat chololate. I like it, but not just crave it.

I think it would take ALOT more than I have here to make it REALLY chocolatly. I added the chips, and then some hershey's coco. It still doesnt seem just overly chocolatly. I made up a test batch with some pudding in it. it tastes really good. But how do you think it would work? I know it wouldnt crust. - But what about shelf stable? should I put it in the fridge?

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

Mamawrobin, what do you think about adding some instant pudding to the chocolate BC?

The sams icing seems to STAY buttercream tasting. with just a hint of chocolate. of course, I very seldom eat chololate. I like it, but not just crave it.

I think it would take ALOT more than I have here to make it REALLY chocolatly. I added the chips, and then some hershey's coco. It still doesnt seem just overly chocolatly. I made up a test batch with some pudding in it. it tastes really good. But how do you think it would work? I know it wouldnt crust. - But what about shelf stable? should I put it in the fridge?

I really don't know how it would be. Personally I wouldn't use it because I NEVER refrigerate my cakes and I'm not going to start now...LOL...Do you have any chocolate syrup? I've added chocolate syrup when I wanted a more "chocolatety" flavor. thumbs_up.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 17

Nope- I have 4 kids- I dont keep stuff like that around. because honestly I cant afford to. ROFLMAO!!

au_decorator_76 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #17 of 17

This is the one I use and it's fantastic. Granted I haven't tried any others because I was so pleased with this one!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7226/chocolate-buttercream-crusting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%