Gum Paste Roses Bulky In The Bottom

Decorating By Charmed Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm by Charmed

Charmed Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 4

I made gum paste roses using dried cones and the 5 petal cutter but they are very bulky and big in the bottom kind of squared off!! I tried to taper it and mold it to a cone but then my petals started falling off. how do I avoid this? could this be because the rose cone is not big enough?
thanks
LL

3 replies
Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 4

anyone icon_biggrin.gif

pmarks0 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 4

How are you making them? Are you starting with a teardrop shaped tip first that you've "glued" onto a toothpick (or spaghetti as the new Wilton courseware says)? This is the center of your rose and you have to let it dry for 48 hours first before you can continue to make your roses.

I have the rose petal cutters from the gumpaste flowers kit which comes in 3 sizes. I think I use the large cutter. The link below is to Wilton's online instructions for making the rose and they are using a tulip cutter which they then separate the petals.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Gum-Paste-Rose

I couldn't tell from your picture if you had it on a toothpick, but you'll find that it makes it much easier to work with, plus then they can be easily stuck on a cake.

If you check my photos, the last cake has a closeup of some of my roses.

Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the link. I make the cones and let them dry completely on a wire but on this rose the wire wasn't secured and somehow it came off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%