Baking Project Ideas! Help!!

Decorating By teacheramanda Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm by Occther

teacheramanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teacheramanda Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 6

So I am going to be using a commercial kitchen in a Senior Center to bake my cakes. The director has asked in lieu of payment to them if I could lead the ladies in some baking projects. What do people suggest? I don't really want to "lead" them while I am doing my cakes, so I thought I'd pick something different each month and do a baking project with them that is seperate from my cake orders. I need to pitch ideas to him this friday. If anyone has some easy ideas I can use I'd really appreciate it!!

5 replies
babapeela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babapeela Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 6

What about a tea-party themed baking session? Scones, little fancy cakes etc. Then they could enjoy the tea-party afterwards!

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 6

How about starting out with the first project being very simple like how to ice a cake smoothly and do a simple shell border? I bet they would love that. My grandmother made the most delicious cakes, but I remember her adding garnishes like nuts to hide the flaws in the icing--or she did the swirly thing with the knife. icon_smile.gif I bet she would love to have learned how to smoothly ice a cake, too. hth

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 6

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Maybe you could teach classes based on the seasons. For example...do fall baking classes featuring ingredients like pumpkin, apples, cranberries, and/or yams. This could include cakes, cuppies, pies, cookies, quick breads...etc. You also give them lessons on how to make baked goods to give as gifts (especially around the Holidays). The list can go on and on.

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 6

cake balls!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 6

Many some of the seniors could share their recipes and memories. I am a therapist in a nursing home. Although I can bake, I purchase pre-shaped cookies, let the patients bake and decorate them with icing and sprinkles. They love it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%