Help? Dont Know What Do With This Color Combo!

Decorating By BecuzImAGurl Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm by hollyml

BecuzImAGurl Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 13

I really need some ideas with this color combo my friend gave me for a 30th birthday cake....

RED with NAVY BLUE designs??...she said circles too??

I cant think of anything that I can do with these colors maybe I can add a 3rd color in to balance it out? but a RED base with navy blue?? I'm clueless... Can anyone give me some ideas?

12 replies
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 13

Why not add some white in there?

Jo-melia Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 13

I agree, I'd probably do a white base and navy and red design.
This is cute, you could easily do a darker blue...(i know it's a kids cake, but it would work for other ages!!)

ETA- sorry I didn't read the circles bit! Well, at least it has spots! icon_lol.gif

nonilm Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 13

Does the base have to be red? You could also add in gray or yellow if you don't want it to look like a 4th of July cake.

cutthecake Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 13

Something nautical?
Or blue denim and red bandana print?
Beach theme with red flip flops with blue accents?

brincess_b Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 13

white icing, then red and navy retro circle style would look great - particuarly in a topsy turvy i feel!

Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 13

Ooh, the nautical theme sounds nice. Maybe you can add some light browns in it too.

tokazodo Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 13

I'm seeing gold as an accent color. I would run with the nautical theme.

tokazodo Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 13

Maybe like the cake I've posted below, but instead of making the accent flowers blue, make them read with yellow centers? Just a thought....

BecuzImAGurl Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for the help...Yea I wont be having such a headache if she hasnt said it has to be a RED base and navy blue CIRCLE designs...I dont know what she was thinking, maybe I have to ask her o change her mind...I really dont like these colors together...

Oh she wanted a fun sighs...

poohsmomma Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 13

How about combining the colors like on some of these cakes that have been showing up in the galleries. I think the contrast between the colors would really be set off with this style cake. And instead of the flowers you could use circles.
I just love them:

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 13

You dont' like these colors together? icon_confused.gif What version of the American flag do you have in YOUR house? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

hollyml Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 13

I love those two-tone cakes poohsmama posted! I'm going to have to find an excuse to try that. And I agree you could adapt the flowers to simple circles instead.

Other possibilities: (swap white base for red, and red accents for white or a different shade of red than the base) (change turquoise to navy) (change black to blue) (change white to blue) (change white base to red and red circles to blue) (reverse base and circle colors)

There are a gazillion similar designs in the gallery. I love the way the circles are grouped on this one:

A red base is not my favorite look, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the red and navy combination.

Quote by @%username% on %date%