They Just Keep Getting Better And Better.

Business By QueenOfSweets Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm by flourgirlz

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieA

I'm surprised at all these posts. Everybody here has been working for years on this and knows how much they are, but most people have no idea. I have had a couple of them (one of them a guy who came to pick up a $ 1,200 cake and said "How much is this? $ 20?), and actually handed me a 20 dollar bill! The only thing to do is educate them. As Debbi said - The Knot's article is a good start, but a nice little description of what is involved and how much your cakes cost would be enough. Most people realize their mistake and start thinking in the right price range in no time!

I am not surprised by all of these posts. icon_biggrin.gif This particular example was so outlandish that it doesn't have anything to do with industry knowledge. Common sense dictates that when a honey bun is $1.25 in a vending machine, she isn't going to get a decent dessert for under 35 cents.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:33am
post #32 of 37

there is no way that woman is having 300 guest at a wedding and think that her wedding cake would only coast $50-$100 where is the wedding taking place (in a park) and what is she feeding these people (grass)

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #33 of 37

Were they serious? Maybe it was someone playing a joke? Or just someone just trying to see what they could get away with? Just how much something would you give them for nothing, kinda deal? I bet it's the latter. In my experience most brides these days are pretty freaking savvy. especially the ones who are planning almost a year in advance for 300 people. I bet they've at least started their research, been all over on line, read the magazines, etc etc. but it doesn't hurt to try right? All the magazine pretty much say things can be negotiated right? Why not start low, real real low? LOL!

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #34 of 37

Why do I have this sudden craving for a Twinkie? MMmmmm.....Twinkies....
icon_smile.gif

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:18pm
post #35 of 37

Thanks for the laugh reading your responses. I agree that this was clearly an opportunity for education. I emailed the bride back right away yesterday and thanked her for her inquiry. I provided her price estimates for a basic cake to feed 300 from me, plus I gave her the current base prices for both Hy-Vee (a regional grocery store) and Wal-Mart in my area for comparison. I also took the opportunity to provide information about custom cakes and why people might choose them over a cake from a grocery or discount store. I told her I'd love to visit with her on the phone about her wedding cake if she was still interested.

I haven't gotten a reply yet. Even if I don't, at least maybe the information opened her eyes a little bit.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieA

I'm surprised at all these posts. Everybody here has been working for years on this and knows how much they are, but most people have no idea. I have had a couple of them (one of them a guy who came to pick up a $ 1,200 cake and said "How much is this? $ 20?), and actually handed me a 20 dollar bill! The only thing to do is educate them. As Debbi said - The Knot's article is a good start, but a nice little description of what is involved and how much your cakes cost would be enough. Most people realize their mistake and start thinking in the right price range in no time!

I am not surprised by all of these posts. icon_biggrin.gif This particular example was so outlandish that it doesn't have anything to do with industry knowledge. Common sense dictates that when a honey bun is $1.25 in a vending machine, she isn't going to get a decent dessert for under 35 cents.

EXACTLY!! A candy bar at the check-out is $1.00!!

This has been a real sore spot for me recently, I've lost 2 weddings recently because I've stood my ground. Where did they go? Wal-Mart. Hope they enjoyed THAT cake.

flourgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgirlz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #37 of 37

QueenOfSweets-

I looked at your website and noticed you are in central Iowa, I'm in Ankeny! I don't see too many people here in my area!

Clearly she did not look at your pricing tab, or she wouldn't have sent that ridiculous email! I paid $450 for my wedding cake that fed about 125, and I thought that was a GREAT price!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%