He Broke My Kitchen Aide!

Lounge By mandyloo Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm by kansaslaura

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 22

I just needed to vent for a second..
My darling, wonderful, husband to be recently took up bread making. It's wonderful, the house always smells great, but it's a little hard on my mixer's motor.. He doesn't ever let it stop to cool down, he just gets annoyed and turns up the power...
Well, last night my poor mixer gave up and died, and I wasn't sure whether to scream or cry, so I did neither, and came here.

There is no warranty, I bought it second hand, and as much as I would love to beg/cry for/demand a new one, we have a son on the way and it seems irresponsible to spend that much money on something for us when there are plenty of things he'll need.

Ugh.
Sigh.
Pout.

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system!

21 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 22

for child -- clothes from thrift stores -- I kid you not -- why pay full price for something they will outgrow in the seeming blink of an eye. Can even find lots of furniture too.

(car seat is exception -- that MUST be new!)

and...

if he's using it and you too, and he broke it - then he's on the hook to replace it.
and there are things you can do to benefit baby too (like the food mill attachment and others that would let you make own baby food)

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 22

I am so sorry, I know they cost so much ..watch sells in your area..I did for a long time ,found it on sell plus at the time [this was last year] kitchen -aid was also giving a 40.00 rebate. Some times we just need to vent, hope you feel better..

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 22

Try shopkitchenaid.com. They sell refurbished models with 6 month warranties. Kitchen Aid also has their own eBay store where they sell closeout and refurbs.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 22

I would cry too. Then I'd bop him over the head with the bread (but that's just me). Hang in there.
Check around your area for a used one or e-bay. If I hear of a good deal will pm you.

GeorgieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgieP Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 22

His punishment is to mix his bread dough BY HAND for the next six months. HA! icon_biggrin.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 22

truly, infants are not expensive. food=next to nothing depending on your method. clothes=next to nothing-I traded in the clothes they grew out of and used that to get new ones. plus everything that people buy as gifts is too small so that is what starts the process! All sorts of places to get cheap furniture!

I think I would make dh get a part time job to pay for a new mixer!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 22

Just make him fix it!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

for child -- clothes from thrift stores -- I kid you not -- why pay full price for something they will outgrow in the seeming blink of an eye. Can even find lots of furniture too.

(car seat is exception -- that MUST be new!)

and...

if he's using it and you too, and he broke it - then he's on the hook to replace it.
and there are things you can do to benefit baby too (like the food mill attachment and others that would let you make own baby food)

Doug totally hit a homerun about the kid's clothes and the like! There is a little hand-held food mill I got at a yard sale I used for both of my kids, I'm not sure I bought 5 jars of baby food between the two of them!

Now, *ahem* take a good look at my avatar- You can see what I think about people, husbands included messing about in my kitchen! Tell Mr. Crocker to find himself a bread machine (much less chance of destruction) and to leave YOUR toys alone! How would he like it if you went to the garage and started using his powertools incorrectly??

Now, you said your KA is a second hand one. Is there a chance it's a really old one that says "HOBART" on the side by the speed knob? If so, you may actually have a chance to fix it. Those are awesome machines.

And, a KA should be able to make bread dough just fine--but like any machine if it labors or gets hot, it's time to let it rest. *shakes head*

Baby Food Mill: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ol-images/nursery/uploads/2007_05_07_mill.jpg

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 22

That sounds like something my DH would do and then put it away and not say a word and then when I wanted to use the KA I would get it out and it wouldn't work and he would not have a clue how that happened. It wasn't him!!!

Men! Yep - he needs to pay for a new one ---- and soon!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 22

I've had my KA's repaired....its cheaper than buying a new one, usually....(although sometimes you can get a great deal on a refurb on Amazon...)

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 22

I've been checking craigslist for mixers and there have been some on there in my area for under $100...and they weren't that old! Maybe check there for a deal icon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 22

Hit him with the loaf!! LOL I'm sorry that happened to you but like the pp's have said babies are cheaper than you think. You have your own food (your personal preference) and most ppl give clothes and loads of other junk baby needs.
Get him to buy a bread machine and a KA

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 22

I would check Craigslist online. I know of two people who have purchased KA mixers for a great price!! One lady got hers for $75 (with an extra bowl) and the other got hers for $40 from a guy who was getting divorced and didn't see any need for a KA. Just an idea!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 22

Just wanted to say that I agree with the other posters.

Also, Congratulations on your coming baby. I did not have a K/A when my kids ate purees. I used our food processor and then strained the food.

I bought my K/A at Bed Bath and Beyond, using the 20% off coupon, I got it for $80 less. When the day comes that you do buy a new k/a, hopefully your DH to be will remember this "mistake" so it does not happen again. But what a great hobby to pick up. I love the smell of bread baking in the oven.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #16 of 22

I'm sorry that happened. My husband is not allowed to touch my mixers or put anything in the oven without showing me what it is first icon_biggrin.gif I use his tools but he can't use mine. My 8 year old daughter may use my mixers and my oven, but my husband can't.

When is your baby due? Because if you don't make a whole lot of money each year, then once you have a baby, you get money back on your taxes that you probably aren't expecting. If your baby is born before the last day of the year, then you can get the child tax credit and, depending on your household income, maybe the earned income credit and additional child tax credit. And that will buy a mixer or two...his and hers...To give you an idea of how it works, last year our household income was $26000 and we have two kids. We got back about $6000 on our taxes. We were responsible this year and used it for a downpayment on a house, but other years it's been like one big shopping spree.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #17 of 22

How dead is it? If your hubby is at all handy, you can buy repair parts on line cheaply. I have fixed several for under $20 apiece.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #18 of 22

Whoever broke it replaces it.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #19 of 22

Craigslist is definitely a good place to look! I see them all the time. Did he burn up the motor or strip the gears? I stripped the gears on mine doing the same thing and we were able to fix it ourselves. I ordered the part online and DH fixed it up for me.

Then I sold it and bought a Bosch! If your guy is going to continue doing bread a Bosch will be his best friend. I did replace my KA with a larger one so I actually have both but I do use the Bosch a lot more often than the KA.

And don't feel guilty about replacing your mixer! Your little one will benefit from it with homemade bread, cakes and other goodies. The bread made at home (especially if you take up milling or do sourdoughs) is going to be a lot healthier for him than some of the stuff you buy in the store.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #20 of 22

!
Thank you all so much for letting me vent and all of the great ideas, I really appreciate it (a ton!).

We discussed it to the point of exhaustion, and decided that since it was used so often, and even has practical uses for the baby, it was a worthwhile expense, even though it seems a little bit frivolous.
He ordered one this morning, second hand from shopkitchenaide . com. It is a slight upgrade (5q vs. 4.5) and has a 6 month warranty. We are keeping the old one (which though old, unfortunately isn't Hobart old) to either have repaired at a later date, or to gather dust in our garage (hmm, which sounds more likely...? icon_smile.gif )

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #21 of 22

You know, it may not be your DH's fault. icon_biggrin.gif

How old is the KA? Is it a 600 series? They were making them for a while with a plastic housing around the gears and lots of people were getting the same problem you had, mostly all of them were bread makers.

Google Kitchen Aid and you will get a wealth of stories.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyloo

!
Thank you all so much for letting me vent and all of the great ideas, I really appreciate it (a ton!).

We discussed it to the point of exhaustion, and decided that since it was used so often, and even has practical uses for the baby, it was a worthwhile expense, even though it seems a little bit frivolous.
He ordered one this morning, second hand from shopkitchenaide . com. It is a slight upgrade (5q vs. 4.5) and has a 6 month warranty. We are keeping the old one (which though old, unfortunately isn't Hobart old) to either have repaired at a later date, or to gather dust in our garage (hmm, which sounds more likely...? icon_smile.gif )

Well if you decide at some point it's just gathering dust you can always sell the bowl and attachments on eBay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%