Need Advice From The Sps Experts! My Cake Is Not 4"...

Decorating By BuncoHappens Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm by KHalstead

BuncoHappens Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 14

This is my first time using SPS!

Un-iced the tier is 3"...I still to to ice it and add fondant. My options are to either add lots of extra icing on top OR cut the legs. Which would you do?
With that much icing on top, it could be a problem when I apply the fondant.

13 replies
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 14

Can you torte it a couple of times and fill it for extra height?

BuncoHappens Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 14

I already have it filled and crumb coated and chilled. It would have to a 1" layer and it would look unbalanced when cut because each layer is 1 1/2".

DeeDelightful Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 14

I'd rather add more icing than risk cutting the legs, unless you have a miter (sp) saw and are sure they will be cut precisely. Otherwise i'd probably opt for using dowels or bubble tea straws this time around. Maybe next time, torte and fill for more height.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 14

Which layer is this? Could you get away with doing a double border to cover up the gap? Maybe a wide ribbon with a thinner ribon on top in coordinating color. I had this happen the first time I used SPS but my cake was buttercream so I literaly squished buttercream into the seam and then did a boarder over thaticon_smile.gif I'm not sure how to hide it with fondant.

BuncoHappens Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 14

This is the bottom tier. It is a 3 tier cake, but I'm thinking of only using the SPS to support the middle tier and stack the top at the event. My husband has all kinds of saws, so I'm confident the legs would get cut evenly. I'm just so dissapointed that my bottom tier is too short!

kitty122000 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #7 of 14

I very rarely can get my teirs to 4 inches, I almost always end up cutting the supports, I've never had a problem

bmoser24 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #8 of 14

I actually had the same problem, I took extra fondant and made confetti pieces and stuffed underneath, look in my pics at the square yellow grad cake. It turned out so cute.
another option is to tie a ribbon around it if it's an inch space use a close size or gather larger riccon or use ribbon w/wire. last option for me was to cut my legs. I dont think i would over ice though. Good luck.

bmoser24 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 14

**Oh, not sure what system you are using, I use Bakery Craft. But, you can use wilton legs, the plain round-they just fit on the outside of the leg reciever and fit pretty snug.They are cheap and easy to cut.

terrylee Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #10 of 14

I use the Wilton pillers...I have a saw and miter box just for this purpose to cut the piller to the correct height of the cakes....

Karen421 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #11 of 14

I use SPS a lot and my tiers always come out 4". Always - except that one time when for some strange reason it was just over 3 1/2". (still don't know what happened?) I just rolled some extra fondant and put it under the plate and then cut out ribbon fondant and covered the gap. You couldn't tell, I even forgot! It is in my pics the 4th of July cake.

tinygoose Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:58am
post #12 of 14

DH says to cut it in a vice with a hacksaw. I just tried to cut one with my pvc pipe cutters it cracked and crumbled.

BuncoHappens Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all of the replies! I considered re-baking the tier but decided to go ahead and ice it. I will fondant it today and just trim the legs. I don't think I've ever measured my tiers before because so far it's not looking any different from any other of my cakes. I might add an extra slice of fondant under the table if I have to.

KHalstead Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 14

I use sps and ALWAYS have to cut the legs, I use a meiter box and saw...works perfectly....straight cut every time! Does your DH have a meiter box? Hacksaws work really well too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%